Elektra T1 maintenance?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cruzmisl

#1: Post by cruzmisl »

Hi All,
Do I need to lube the steam and water valves on my T1? If so how do I do it? I'm not sure how to take them apart. Also is there a tutorial on descaling the boiler?
Thanks!
Joe

mhoy

#2: Post by mhoy »

How far have you gotten in getting them apart? They are sprung loaded a royal pain to get back together (assuming you can grip it well enough to get apart in the first place).

Before you do this, read up on some other threads on how to do this. I'm sure others with chime in. Here is my take on what to do.

As to the boiler, I did a full tear down, so I can't really tell you how to do an in place boiler descale for maintenance. I'd guess you mix up a solution of citric acid and water, draw it into the boiler by placing the fill hose into the solution keeping the solution at or above the level of the pump so it doesn't have to work too hard. (Ideally a flo-jet arrangement would be used but it's likely ok to draw from a vessel for a short period of time). Alternatively, unplug the power, take out the overpressure safety valve on the top of the boiler, drain with a hose, re-fill with citric acid solution. Don't damage the copper washer around the safety valve. Or have a new one on hand. Heat up the boiler for a while to speed up the process. Drain, refill with fresh water, drain, repeat until you can't taste any acid and then repeat again. :) Draining is much simpler with a hole to access the boiler. DO NOT TURN ON THE BOILER IF THE ELEMENT IS NOT UNDER WATER.

That should do the boiler. However, the HX loop could also need some TLC. This would of course need to use the intake method.

Mark