Elektra T1 Deliziosa - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DJF

#41: Post by DJF »

Erics is correct. Mine has a mushroom compression fitting at both ends. A flare end will always have a mushroom to compress on which is not usually on the boiler. I can see the mating female surface for a mushroom on the boiler fitting.

Sounds like a silly question but are you sure you have the right pipe?
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

Mouldy (original poster)

#42: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

Sounds like a silly question but are you sure you have the right pipe?
Not a silly question - believe me, anything is possible; however I'm (almost) certain it's the right pipe assembly. I have before and after photo's that show the same pipe in that location and it's also the only one that fits and it's also a distinctly different profile (quite "S" - shaped) compared to the others.

I'm guessing that the previous owner had a dodgy repair done at some stage, that some-how managed to seal - perhaps liquid sealant?) - until I disassembled everything to give the citric acid bath treatment. I'm not convinced on this though, given it's a fixed length pipe that must fit between two fixed fittings (so no room to modify by changing tube end fitting). The only other explanation is that the mushroom fitting has broken off on disassembly / acid cleaning, but I would thought I'd have noticed if something came away from the tube end, and I would assume also that if this were the case then the tube end wouldn't look like a purpose made flare fitting.

Thanks for the pointers and confirmation. Sounds like I need to add the pipe assembly to the parts order - hopefully it will come with mushroom fittings both ends. :|

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by JohnB. »

Are you sure there isn't a fitting (adapter) laying around that you removed from either the boiler or the end of that pipe prior to descaling? You did say that the machine was running when you first saw it in the restaurant. There had to be something between the boiler fitting & that flared pipe end to keep it from leaking.
LMWDP 267

stefano65
Sponsor

#44: Post by stefano65 »

original pressurestat/boiler pipe from an elektra
without the scale build up of course

this is the
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Mouldy (original poster)

#45: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

Are you sure there isn't a fitting (adapter) laying around that you removed from either the boiler or the end of that pipe prior to descaling? You did say that the machine was running when you first saw it in the restaurant. There had to be something between the boiler fitting & that flared pipe end to keep it from leaking.
I've looked and can't locate anything, and I don't recall doing anything other than loosening and unscrewing the fitting nut when I disassembled it. I too am perplexed how it was sealed prior, as the machine was indeed fully functional when I purchased it. I can only guess I may have inadvertently misplace some small adapter that fits between the flare tube and boiler fitting, or that it was fastened using some form of thread-locker sealant.

In any case I have added the pipe assembly onto my list of required items.

Thanks Stefano for the confirmation on what the fitting looks like. interesting, as it appears from others that there are also versions with the 'mushroom' type fitting (as per the end that connects to the pressure-stat). Out of interest I tried to find the common name for these 'mushroom' type fittings, but haven't yet been successful in finding a referenced standard or name.

Mouldy (original poster)

#46: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

Can anyone advise if any form of thread sealant is required on the boiler safety valve and vacuum breaker valve? When I removed the boiler safety (pressure release) valve, there appeared to be a small amount of tape, but nothing on the vacuum breaker.

Is anything required on either?

EDIT: I just saw another thread titled "Fittings in the top of the boiler - Teflon tape or thread lock?"; which probably answers my question.

erics
Supporter ★

#47: Post by erics »

And this would answer it a little more definitively: /downloads/ ... _Parts.pdf - sealed to the boiler with copper washers.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

DJF

#48: Post by DJF »

Those top loaded boiler fittings should only have crush or flat copper washers for sealing. Tape or even Loxeal, a high quality thread sealant, are a last resort if you have no new copper washers on hand or there are damaged threads.

From memory, the safety valve seat in the boiler is recessed and designed for a round profile crush washer as opposed to a flat on the anti vac... A flat washer will not work correctly on the safety valve.

As far as that flare fitting in the pics.. Flares go on mushrooms or acorn fittings..

If the machine was run like that it would have more steam coming out that joint than a coal train out of Newcastle. :shock:
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

Mouldy (original poster)

#49: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

Those top loaded boiler fittings should only have crush or flat copper washers for sealing. Tape or even Loxeal, a high quality thread sealant, are a last resort if you have no new copper washers on hand or there are damaged threads.
Thanks. I have new crush washers. So sounds like I don't need any tape?
As far as that flare fitting in the pics. Flares go on mushrooms or acorn fittings..

If the machine was run like that it would have more steam coming out that joint than a coal train out of Newcastle.
Yeah, I can't figure out what's happened there, because there were no leaks when the machine was running. I can only think there was an adaptor or part of the fitting I misplaced or has broken in disassembly that I didn't notice.

LOL Re. the Newcastle coal train reference.

Mouldy (original poster)

#50: Post by Mouldy (original poster) »

I am in the process of installing replacement neon lamps. The new lamps have a positive and negative symbol on them (see photo below). Probably a silly question, but can anyone advise which wire should connect to the positive terminal on the neon light?. I only have black, brown, and white wires in the harness that supplies the two lamps either side of the group as per photo below.

Thanks.