Elektra sixties t1 - brews double shot in 7 seconds - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JmanEspresso

#21: Post by JmanEspresso »

Reading about the problems.. to be honest, the burrs were on my mind, but they were last on the list.

Commercial Grinders like the mazzers(even if its the mini), their burrs have quite high capacity ratings before needing to be changed.

But, that brings up something ive wondered. I know they have big ratings.. I was told my Major's burrs were rated at 600lbs... what about the MXK/Kony? 2-3lbs a week, when should they be changed? 2yrs? 5yrs?

HB
Admin

#22: Post by HB »

JmanEspresso wrote:I was told my Major's burrs were rated at 600lbs... what about the MXK/Kony?
Since the fine cutting edges of a conical burr are longer than flat burrs of the same diameter and the conical's upper section does the hard work of bean breaking, I would expect the Kony burrs to last a long, long time. I don't have a Kony owner's manual handy, but the Mini/Super Jolly/Major manual called out the recommended replacement schedule:
Mazzer wrote:When using coffee blends of average hardness, it is advisable to replace the grinding blades approximately every:
600 kg for the Major model
400 kg for the Super Jolly model
300 kg for the Mini model.
For your Major, that's 600 kilograms or 1372 pounds. If you replaced them at 70% of their service limit, 3 pound per week comes out to around six years.
Dan Kehn

JmanEspresso

#23: Post by JmanEspresso »

WOW.

I feel much better... I just sold my Major last week, and changing the burrs was a whisper in the back of my head, but I figured 1yr of use, they would still be fine for a while. Good to know they're just gettin' broken in.

Ill shoot 1st-Line an email one of these days about the MXK, as I dont have the literature on it. Suffice to say Ill be fine for the foreseeable future :D