Elektra Semiautomatica new owner tips

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sbenyo

#1: Post by sbenyo »

I have just purchased a second hand beautiful Elektra Semiautomatica and I have now become another proud owner of this beauty. :)
I started running my first shots and it is definitely a stunning machine and great pleasure to use.

I would like to get useful tips from experienced owners, to know what secrets this machine has to be able to produce its best shots.

It will be very helpful to know the right sequence to warm up, flush, grind, dose, tamp, extract and anything else that can make the shots better.
In my first few shots (14g using Rancilio Rocky grinder) the resulting puck was quite wet and I wonder if this is something I should be aware of and if this indicates anything wrong in how I make the shot.

DJF

#2: Post by DJF »

Essential reading.. /elektra-se ... eview.html
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

You may be in the market for a grinder upgrade soon.
Dave Stephens

sbenyo (original poster)

#4: Post by sbenyo (original poster) »

That's a great post with a lot of details how to use the Elektra and what to expect from it.
It will still be nice to hear more from experienced owners that use the Semiautomatica on regular basis.

I did see great reviews about the Elektra's ability to easily create superior microfoam but I am still trying to find the right way to do it. My microfoam is not as perfect as I expected. Tips around this can also be helpul. :?

Regarding the grinder - Should I be looking for a grinder in the level of Mazzer? Is it a real significant upgrade from the Rocky?

da gino

#5: Post by da gino »

The Semi pairs beautifully with a grinder like a Super Jolly or a Baratza Vario or any grinder of that quality and above. My impression is that those are both a huge step up from the Rocky although I've never used a Rocky so that is only based on reading and not first hand experience.

You should read Coffee Geek's review, too, as well as Jim's excellent review. There is also the very long thread that has lots of great additional user information here... (and some overlap, of course, with the review).

Buyer's Guide to the Elektra Semiautomatica

The semi is an amazing machine. I'm sure you will love it!

sbenyo (original poster)

#6: Post by sbenyo (original poster) »

It is an amazing machine. So far it's absolutely exciting to use and the espresso coming out of it is excellent. The links are really helpful. Thanks.

The only issue I still have is frothing milk to real good microfoam. It looks like everyone says they can easily get perfect microfoam but I still can't find the right way to do it... :(

DJF

#7: Post by DJF »

I use a small 300ml jug and find it pairs up a treat with the Semi for frothing. They really are a user friendly machine.

Try holding the jug so the steam tip is almost resting against where the handle is..if you are holding it straight on that is.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

sbenyo (original poster)

#8: Post by sbenyo (original poster) »

Thanks, I'll try to do what you describe. How deep do I have to insert the frothing tip? Should I expect to see a clear swirl without any bubbles?

sbenyo (original poster)

#9: Post by sbenyo (original poster) »

Frothing is getting better. It seems it's just a matter of practice before I get it right... :)

howard seth

#10: Post by howard seth »

I have had my Semiautomatica 5 1/2 years. I still am a fan of this machine. Use it every day. But it does have it's foibles. The most noticeable is the failure of it's pressure stats. I have replaced mine a bunch of times. Something you can do yourself, by the way). I recently wrote in this forum - that I refurbished the last failed one with citric acid - see Rejuvenating pressurestat for Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica

One thing that seems to help with lengthening pressure stat life is using reverse osmosis water. I was using Brita pitcher filtered water before - but with our very hard local water supply it did not filter out enough lime.

I keep my double basket generally filled 14 grams or less - because there is tight clearance to group head - less clearance than some other machines (like the E-61 type Isomac I sold.)

As far as milk steaming/foaming, I consider this machine a real champ (just not speedy) - you will get the hang of it.
Howie