Elektra Semiautomatica gauge not reading zero

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cyphr39

#1: Post by cyphr39 »

Hi
Does any body know if you can zero the thermometer gauge on an Elektra semi automatica and how you would go about that. Mine is reading 0.4 when cool although the machine seems to be working correctly any

Help is much appreciated.
Chris

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

More than likely, the boiler was under vacuum and pulled the gauge's needle against the zero pin, thereby changing its rest position. How to zero boiler pressure gauge? offers some suggestions (basically replace the gauge, reset the needle, or just ignore it). I'd consider attaching a pressure gauge to the steam arm and confirming the onboard-to-external pressure delta when the boiler is fully heated. If the gauge is otherwise accurate in the relative sense, it's really a matter of whether the non-zeroness bothers you enough to replace the gauge or risk breaking it.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

Time for a new gauge. Problem with replacing them, they are screwed onto the boiler water level glass which is fragile. You run the risk of breaking the sight glass or if not removed properly bending the boiler attachment fitting so take care if you replace it.
Dave Stephens

da gino

#4: Post by da gino »

Mine broke within a month of getting the machine and the one reviewed on Coffee Geek broke, too, so this is not an uncommon problem. That said, as Dan points out it never seemed like an issue worth replacing since it worked in a relative sense and it had no effect on the coffee. I finally did have it replaced when I sold it and it wasn't too expensive, but I never did find a way to fix it without replacing it (but I didn't look too hard since it wasn't affecting the coffee).

DJF

#5: Post by DJF »

My fix was to remove the press fit bezel and glass and gently pull off the needle then refit with it resting on the peg.

When shutting down, open the steam valve.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

If you can successfully remove the bezel as Don relates, I would take the gage to a jewelry store that does watch/clock repair and see if they won't pop the needle off gratis using a gage needle puller as below:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hand+remover
This brings back pleasant memories as we had to make one as part of a machine shop course long ago.

I would also machine that "zero resting" pin such that this could not happen again if/when the vacuum breaker sticks closed.

All of this said, I would also price out a new gage, preferably one with no zero resting pin.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cyphr39 (original poster)

#7: Post by cyphr39 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the help.

I removed the chrome bezel and glass by sliding off as suggested. Then placed a thin piece of card I had cut into a circle with a notch from the side to the centre behind the indictor to protect the bezel. I removed the indicator by placing the blades of two dinner knives behind and twisting them slightly, the indictor fell off without hardly any force. I then pushed it back on with my fingers in the zero position which again hardly needed any force cleaned the bezel glass and pushed back on, its now like new!