Elektra Semiautomatica boiler bent during shipment

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Carneiro

#1: Post by Carneiro »

This is a result of not so well packing (lots of protection but not a hard box) and DHL service:

It seems some (heavy) weight stood over the side of the machine...

At least the boiler connection is just bent and no sign of crack at the chrome, so I hope no problems to the brass. The steam wand is bad, but I think it helped to avoid more damage to the boiler...

As Stefano told me, and I agree, it would be risky to bend it back, maybe that could in fact crack the weld or brass. Does anybody think this small bend could be a problem?

Márcio.

Carneiro (original poster)

#2: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Just for reference, there is this thread with the same problem: Can this shipping damaged Elektra Microcasa a Leva be rescued?

I'll read it!

Márcio.

michaelbenis

#3: Post by michaelbenis »

It quite possibly won't be a problem, but no one can tell you for sure.

Is it not covered by insurance?

It's heartbreaking for sure....
LMWDP No. 237

#4: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Yes, there is the insurance but I don't think it will be an option for another reason.

I don't think it should have problems... I think this machine should be disassembled to replace all gaskets and get a good cleaning, maybe I could test the boiler around 2-2.5 bar with the pump and a OPV (and water around 80°C)?

Márcio.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Carneiro wrote:I don't think it should have problems...
That reminds me of the joke "What's the last thing an idiot says before dying?" (*) Anyway, there's no casing enclosing the boiler, so in the unlikely event something goes wrong, it goes badly. Just food for thought.

(*) Answer: "Hey guys, watch this!"
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Buying my ticket to "Darwin Awards" website?

Yes, Elektra's are scary for the exposed boiler. Maybe some extensive testing with water and steam (this one remotely...).

Márcio.

#7: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Initial hydrostatic test, water around 80°C and pressure around 2.5 bar (I've tightened the safety valve). I've kept the pressure between 2 and 2.5 bar using the pump for 10 minutes. No leaking at the boiler, near the valve or any other fitting.

I could go over 2.5 bar if I plug the safety valve thread.

Márcio.

DJF

#8: Post by DJF »

My Elektra had exactly the same damage when it arrived home. I very gently pulled the valve out from the boiler and did the same with bending out the wand. A tiny bit at a time and all is now okay with just a wee bit of fracturing to the chrome on the inside of the right angle bend in the steam wand.

As the wand after the steam valve is not under pressure then try straightening first. If it breaks then just buy a new one.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

#9: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Hi, Don.

Yes, the wand I'll try to fix and do the chrome is not expensive if I want it beautiful. But I think it will show some crack when I bend it back.

I'll do more hydrostatic test when I can change all the gaskets and clean the boiler, and if I can plug the safety valve I can go to 4 bar. One tech from Elektra just told me the MAWP (max allowed working pressure) of the Elektra's are 1.5 bar, so makes sense the safety valve was opening around 2-2.2 bar (1.5 times 1.5). I asked what the pressure they use for hydrostatic tests at the factory, I hope I get an answer - as Caesar told me it should be around 4 times the MAWP.

After that, I'll do the steam test around 1.5 bar on a controlled environment for some time, before use the machine.

Márcio.

caeffe

#10: Post by caeffe »

Carneiro wrote: One tech from Elektra just told me the MAWP (max allowed working pressure) of the Elektra's are 1.5 bar, so makes sense the safety valve was opening around 2-2.2 bar (1.5 times 1.5). I asked what the pressure they use for hydrostatic tests at the factory, I hope I get an answer - as Caesar told me it should be around 4 times the MAWP.

After that, I'll do the steam test around 1.5 bar on a controlled environment for some time, before use the machine.

Márcio.
Márcio-
Clarification on the 1.5x and 4x MAWP numbers. Also as a warning and caution to all, keep in mind that messing around with pressures is dangerous - IIRC, there was an Elektra that burst while installed in some shop in London.
Industry practice is to hydrostatic test at 1.5 X MAWP.
The pressure vessel should be designed for 4X MAWP - ie at 4X MAWP, the vessel will burst/yield - DO NOT TEST@ 4x MAWP. I'd be surprised if they production test it at 4x MAWP. What could be the case is they'll test at 4x MAWP for certification that the pressure vessel can withstand 4x MAWP. In some cases they'll test to failure to provide the data that the vessel meets design intent - but they'll do this only on cert/qual products not those for production.

Caesar
LMWDP #162