Elektra Mini Verticale, portafilter 'explodes'

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Joep

#1: Post by Joep »

Hi all.

First of all, this is my first post, and if there is a more common name for my problem, I'd appreciate it if someone changes the title, so that the topic is more easily found for others.

I've had my Elektra for about half a year now, I bought it on ebay, and had it serviced immediately. I use it 3 times a day at home.
After a few months, a strange thing started happening. First it only happened with backflushing: When I backflushed, the portafilter handle clearly went up a bit, followed by an 'explosion' and steam and water were flying around. With a briefer 'choke' of the motor it seemed ok, but then it also started happening with making regular espresso. After about 10 seconds, a big PFFSHHHHH and grinds and steam all over the place.

I ordered a new group head gasket (although the older one looked perfect and was only a couple of months old), which solved it a few weeks, and it happened again.
I noticed that the portafilter had to be turned all the way to the right, so I ordered a spacer ring and placed it in between. Worked for two weeks (maybe just luck), and now again, the same problem.

By the way, also when it doesn't 'explode', the portafilter handle comes up a bit in the first couple of seconds after initiating the brew process when pressure builds up, and comes down again when I stop it.

I checked the portafilter, but the wedges don't seem worn.

I'm really getting tired of the machine, it should be such a lovely machine.

gyro

#2: Post by gyro »

Hi,
Joep wrote: First it only happened with backflushing: When I backflushed, the portafilter handle clearly went up a bit, followed by an 'explosion' and steam and espresso grinds flying around.
Why were espresso grinds flying around if you were backflushing?!

Sounds like the 3-way valve (releases the pressure in the puck once you have finished brewing) is stuck. I am assuming someone here knows the best way to clean it if backflushing hasn't already done the trick?

If its stuck, leave the handle for 30 seconds after brewing for the pressure to subside before unscrewing it. Hopefully then no portafilter 'sneeze'

With any luck Stefano will pipe in.

Cheers.

Advertisement
Joep (original poster)

#3: Post by Joep (original poster) »

Sorry, I mixed things up a bit. When backflushing, of course only water flew around. Later, when it also happened while making espresso, grinds were flying around.

And it doesn't happen after brewing, but while brewing, after about 5-10 seconds. So I don't think the 3-way valve is to blame here. After a successful espresso, I can take my portafilter out immediately, no problems there.

gyro

#4: Post by gyro »

So while brewing, is the pf unlatching and falling out?

Before this happens, are you getting espresso coming out the bottom?

You are locking it in nice and tight I assume before brewing? On some machines, you need a reasonable force to lock it sufficiently in place...

Cheers, Chris

Joep (original poster)

#5: Post by Joep (original poster) »

No, the portafilter doesn't fall out. It just pops and stays in the grouphead.

And indeed, espresso is rushing while this happens.

I tighten it very well. Any more force would just be stupid...

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Strange. If a portafilter doesn't seal, the standard solution is replace the grouphead gasket. For those reading along, Elektra doesn't use a flat circular gasket like most manufacturers; the gasket is actually a thick o-ring and the taper makes it more likely to disengage. A flat circular gasket would be less likely to leak than an o-ring, but I'm puzzled why your OEM gasket fails in the first place. :?
Dan Kehn

Joep (original poster)

#7: Post by Joep (original poster) »

This is the gasket I have in my group head:

The one on the left of course. On the right was my self made spacer ring, that was way too thick.

Mine is flat. I can see here that there are 3 types of gaskets. Flat (like mine), conical, and type 'O-ring'.

Do you think I have the wrong one?

Advertisement
gyro

#8: Post by gyro »

The gasket LOOKS right, just by judging from this photo, but I have never seen it so take that with a grain of salt.

Have you got a 'shower holder gasket' (No. 35) as well? I think your link is to the wrong schematic...

http://espressocare.com/PDF-Files/PDF-S ... mplete.pdf

Chris

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Stefano would know for certain; all the Elektras I've used have the o-ring type group gasket (Elektra A3, Semiautomatica, and Microcasa). Assuming it's the correct thickness and the seal is secure, the gasket shape should not matter. According to the parts diagram, the OEM spacers are 0.65mm. The spacer is inserted behind the gasket to compensate for worn portafilter ears/grouphead channel. If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.
Dan Kehn

Joep (original poster)

#10: Post by Joep (original poster) »

Well, that's the spacer I have installed at the moment. I don't get it either..

@Gyro,
Your scheme is correct indeed, and yes, I also have that black gasket in the heavy disc thing. (no. 35)