Elektra D1 revival

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pootoogoo

#1: Post by pootoogoo »

Last year, I found stevescapin's Elektra twin sister (the serial is only one digit difference from his):

An Elektra D1 (aka 'Modern', 2 groups, 1992), pre-"too-much-electronics-in-machines" period.

So I went from this:

...to that (sept. 2013):

A little puzzle for the summer vacations. :D

And sooner this week:

I just miss a pipe from the heat exchanger to the group to finish the rebuild (the one I ordered is too long), but it doesn't look so bad to date. :roll:

8)

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Wow! That cleaned up really nicely. Normally I would never think to pick yellow for pretty much anything, but it certainly pops and pops well on your machine. Nice bit of spit and polish there! :wink:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
Clint Orchuk

#3: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Your machine looks amazing. Great color, and classic style.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

You would need to ask Stefano, but I believe that machine uses the old style ball valves. Be very careful. They are no longer made and you cannot get parts for them. If you break a seal or other part, you have to replace the entire valve which is a bit on the expensive side.
Dave Stephens

pootoogoo (original poster)

#5: Post by pootoogoo (original poster) »

The color inspiration comes from my Caravel. :wink:

Cannonfodder, you're right: these are old style ball valves... I'll try not to break any of them. I had to change some seals and springs and bought the replacement parts from Stefano's.

Here is how it looks with the fully rebuilt grinder. *

* Unfortunately, after few days it stopped working... with fumes coming out from the 30 years old wiring.
I hope I'll be able to save it.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

Anything can be saved. Those machines were pretty rudimentary for electronics. Not a lot to go bad. Something may have been pinched and shorted, loose fitting arcing and overheating, etc... Worst case the brain box went dead which will get you for a couple hundred I think. That beast will take a couple hours to heat once you power it up. Certainly a candidate for turn it on and leave it on. My A3 runs 24/7.
Dave Stephens

#7: Post by pootoogoo (original poster) »

Sorry, I wasn't so clear: my Mazzer seems to have a wiring problem (related to the stator unfortunately).
The Elektra, I don't know... I hope not :? (I'm still waiting for a heat exchanger pipe to test it).

Advertisement
Espresso_Monkey

#8: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

pootoogoo wrote:The color inspiration comes from my Caravel.
I'm liking the colour a lot. Refreshing change from polished SS (like mine...)

#9: Post by pootoogoo (original poster) »

Thanks a lot for the comments. I'm glad that this color coming from the 70's pleases others.
I was allergic to the original dark green anyway, we'll see in 20 years if that choice was a good idea. :mrgreen:

Everman

#10: Post by Everman »

On my earlier model 2gr Elektra I really had to work on getting a heat exchanger pipe installed. Things had to be loosened up, pushed and prodded, rather difficult but it did fit. It may or may not be the same case for you, just fyi it could just be a pain to do. Looking good though!