Effective Device or Wallet Lightener?-IMS shower screen

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Evilsports

#1: Post by Evilsports »

:mrgreen:

I ordered a couple Precision shower screens for my machine. I'll be honest, I don't see a benefit yet. I made a video to illustrate this.

Am I missing something? :roll:

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Fixed.

The trick to remember is that Youtube now uses https. But it won't work here. All you need to do is remove the "s", and make sure you're using the uncompressed link and NOT the short form i.e. ( http://youtu.be/y9oy8-TwLvc) is shortened and doesn't include the "www".

Dan or others can give you a more technical explanation, or reference it here
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Evilsports wrote:I'll be honest, I don't see a benefit yet. I made a video to illustrate this.
What benefit were you hoping for? I assumed the benefit, if any, would be more even diffusion across the puck prior to pressurization, potentially reducing channeling. If I did see a difference in a video, I'd only care if it brought an improvement to the cup.
Dan Kehn

Evilsports (original poster)

#4: Post by Evilsports (original poster) replying to HB »

Likewise.

I'd also care if it lowered the quality though, which is my first impression.

Hence, wondering if I'm missing something..

bluesman

#5: Post by bluesman »

Evilsports wrote:I ordered a couple Precision shower screens for my machine. I'll be honest, I don't see a benefit yet. I made a video to illustrate this. Am I missing something? :roll:
Silly me.....I thought such debates were limited to audiophile discussions of $1000 power cables! :roll:

Only outcomes matter - the real question is whether the coffee's any better. Despite a steady barrage from those who think they can tell just from tasting, the only way for me to make such determinations is blinded comparisons of enough tightly controlled shots (same beans, doses, temps, ratios etc) to know if I'm guessing. As the screen could cause differences in flow rate, pressure on the puck etc and any of those could affect extraction, it'd be fair and reasonable to optimize parameters for each so that their best shots are being compared. But they'd have to be presented to tasters randomly and without identification to get a true judgment.

If it's expensive (yes, I know that term is relative), I'd have to be able to tell the difference 8 or more out of 10 times - repeatedly - to justify any significant (and I mean significant to me - your mileage may vary...) cost. How much is it?

jonr

#6: Post by jonr »

I suggest that what you see during free flow typically has no relation to what happens with a portafilter and coffee in place. Like testing speakers cables without speakers :-). If there is, I'd agree with Dan (only in the early pre-infusion stage as the grounds are starting to get wet).

brianl

#7: Post by brianl »

Far as I can tell, the major benefit to this shower screen is cleanliness and less coffee will pass through the screen via the solenoid valve. If there is a difference in performance, it is minimal. We of all people should know that the higher up you go, the lower return is seen.

Heck, you could probably pull shots without a shower screen and compare it to a basic shower screen and not be able to tell the difference 8/10 times. doesn't mean you shouldn't use one.

These things cost ~30$. I picked one up via the EPNW cyber monday sale but wont bother installing it until i replace my gasket.

bluesman

#8: Post by bluesman »

jonr wrote:I suggest that what you see during free flow typically has no relation to what happens with a portafilter and coffee in place. Like testing speakers cables without speakers :-).
I certainly agree with this, and I'm having a hard time believing that the screen could make any difference in the coffee unless it grossly changes pressure, flow &/or temperature. And if it were to do that, I can't imagine that it could be for the better. Of course, I'm similarly skeptical about 4-figure audio cables and they seem to sell in sufficient volumes to keep their manufacturers and vendors in business - so what do I know? :?:

malling

#9: Post by malling »

The HQ IMS screen on an E61 or Vivaldi does only improve on the cleanliness of the screen, no need for a towel a cleaning flush is enough with the HQ IMS screen/screens installed in between sessions. However to my knowledge that has never been a problem on a gs/3.

it has zero effect on the taste

Evilsports (original poster)

#10: Post by Evilsports (original poster) »

malling wrote:The HQ screen on an E61 or Vivaldi does only improve on the cleanliness of the screen, no need for a towel a cleaning flush is enough with the HQ screen/screens installed in between sessions. However to my knowledge that has never been a problem on a gs/3.

it has zero effect on the taste
bluesman wrote:I certainly agree with this, and I'm having a hard time believing that the screen could make any difference in the coffee unless it grossly changes pressure, flow &/or temperature. And if it were to do that, I can't imagine that it could be for the better. Of course, I'm similarly skeptical about 4-figure audio cables and they seem to sell in sufficient volumes to keep their manufacturers and vendors in business - so what do I know? :?:
This is pretty much my take on it as well, only having used it for a day now. :)