ECM Giotto Premium Plus - Steam Valve Problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Salter

#1: Post by Salter »

Hello everyone, I'd appreciate your feedback on this technical issue I have with my Giotto Premium Plus. It's now 6 years old. I ran into an issue with the steam handle identical to the description provided here: Broken Rocket Giotto steam valve.

I decided to try and replace the valve myself (the service I'm getting here in Toronto was not great to date - to say the least).

I ordered this new Rocket Plus Steam/Hot Water Valve from Espressotec: http://www.espressotec.com/index.php/ro ... -4038.html

After removing the old one I noticed that the back thread (connecting to the steam pipe) is of different length (see Photo 1). Never the less, I gave it a try.

The problem: there's a water/steam leak between the steam pipe and the back thread of the steam valve unit (see Photo 2).

I then noticed a few things:
1. I was expecting to see some kind of a rubber/plastic O ring where the steam pipe connects to the valve but none seems to exist (or maybe it was lost when I disconnected it?)
2. the old valve unit has a brass "fitting" (it's almost black but when scuffed the brass colour shows up) which the new valve does not have. (see Photo 3)

3. I then removed the new valve and replaced it with the old one just to see if the leak goes away. It is not as bad as the new valve - but there's still a bit of leakage! (which I never had before). (see photo 4)

So i'm not sure what I should do at this point. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

Shy Alter

onthego

#2: Post by onthego »

Did you try using teflon tape or thread seal on the threads?

Advertisement
delanges

#3: Post by delanges »

I'm not a plumber, but the new valve looks like a compression fitting, which uses a copper/brass/metal compression ferrule or "ring." It usually goes around the tube, but should work without it (it compresses on tightening and seals the two connections). It appears the flare fitting has an adaptor converting it to a compression to attach to the valve. As suggested above, you can try teflon tape (keep it a few threads away from the opening) otherwise, go the hardware store with the valve and find a ring that fits in the concave - should be cheap.
Steve
B.S. Mech Eng, J.D., Tinkerer
Jack of all, Master of none

Salter (original poster)

#4: Post by Salter (original poster) »

Thanks onthego and delanges.
As you can see I'm technically challenged ;-)

I'll give it a try and report back.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

There are two types of thread. BSPT and BSPP, Taper thread and Parallel thread. Parallel threads use a compression fitting or 'bullet' on the end of the pipe to seal with the mating surface of the fitting. Taper thread are just that. The threads taper so the fitting seals around the threads. So it is a matter of what type of thread is on the pipe and what type of thread is on the fitting you are attaching to. If they are both taper thread, a wrap of Teflon tape will seal it up. Parallel thread will never seal, but if they were parallel I would expect a gushing leak.
Dave Stephens

Salter (original poster)

#6: Post by Salter (original poster) »

Thanks cannonfodder and everyone else. Just had a quick chat with Espressotec's support (he got back to me within minutes!). It turns out that the valve they sent is meant for Giotto's newest machines, it was sent by mistake in the same mixed batch by Giotto. Espressotec will replace it with the appropriate valve. He (like all of you) recommended that I use some vinyl tape.

I'll update the thread when I do.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

The threads on Item 1 are definitely BSPP and most likely 1/4". Item 2 is a female/male adaptor but, more importantly, it serves as a positioning nut to "lock" the steam valve in a specific position.

"From the factory", a thread locking/sealing compound is applied to the Item 1 threads, Item 2 is screwed in place while the steam valve is correctly orientated.

As has been previously recommended, you could wrap 2 turns of Teflon tape on the Item 1 threads and be in good shape. Wrap them in the same direction that Item 2 screws on (clockwise).

The mushroom shaped fitting (part of which is shown as Item 4) is compressed against the inside diameter of the male threads of Item 2 by tightening the nut (Item 3). No sealer of any kind is required there.

I would consider putting a very thin nylon washer over the threads of Item 1 in order to somewhat protect the polished face of the machine.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
Salter (original poster)

#8: Post by Salter (original poster) »

Thanks Eric. This is a great explanation. I also appreciate the time you took to mark up the photo.

Salter (original poster)

#9: Post by Salter (original poster) »

Update: thank you everyone for your kind help. The new valve arrived and was installed - with everyone's good advice helping along. I'm happy to report that our house, on Xmas morning, is again latte-enabled!