Early ECM Giotto - Reservoir water level sensor replacement

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
12steps

#1: Post by 12steps »

Hi,

I have an early ECM Giotto (the ones with the metal probes in the water reservoir) These have become progressively temperamental over the years and now no longer work.

Can someone suggest a hack or work around to replace this system (Im not interested in connecting the wires to allow the machine to keep running without the empty tank cutoff feature).

TIA

kize

#2: Post by kize »

Right off the top of my head would be using something like a float switch of some sort. Others would be water type contact sensors. I'm going to assume its some sort of simple ckt (N.O/N.C.) Should be relatively easy to come up with something. Id be looking at newer machines for ideas.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

If that's the one where the probes are the bars that hold the reservoir in place resting in triangular contacts, you can try cleaning them really well, You could try Cramolin Gold which tends to solve contact problems in places like that, you could also send both sides out to be gold or silver plated or maybe buy a home plating kit and only plate the rod and contact where the meet.

And if that's not what you have, oh well.

Ira

12steps (original poster)

#4: Post by 12steps (original poster) »

Yes thats what they are however the have come loose from the actual tank itself (poorly designed to start with) and Im not keen on the replacement cost (if I could find one)

I know the Isomac's use a spring loaded system to achieve the same result.

Has anyone modded a system to replace the stock Giotto "probe system"?

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

I've seen it done by weight with a spring underneath and by hanging rods in the water. You could just make something with long wires that you could set across and have a couple of stainless probes sticking down. It would not be as pretty but would work just fine.

Ira