E61 - What tool to use to remove the big brass "screw" - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
shadowfax

#11: Post by shadowfax »

Mark Well wrote:i agree with you, but I was too poor to buy a new machine, I made the mistake to buy it used from someone who didn't maintained very well...
The E61 dispersion screw is still an exceptional one when it comes to espresso machines. Most other machines have more traditional screws that don't require a massive screwdriver or a ground fender washer to take out.

But make no mistake, that doesn't change what a pain they are to remove when they are seized by scale/rancid oil from lack of maintenance. In my Elektra rebuild, I was having nightmares of breaking the head off the screw and having to take it to a machine shop to get removed. Fortunately, after some crazy torquing, it popped right out. It still had to be replaced due to the beating it took getting it out, but at least nothing else in the group was damaged...
Nicholas Lundgaard

Eiron

#12: Post by Eiron »

A $1 coin perfectly fits the jumbo screw head slot on my Quick Mill's dispersion screen. You might need to grip it with a slip-joint plier to get it off, but only use the coin to replace it & you won't have to worry about over-tightening.
He's dead, Jim... You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

Mark Well (original poster)

#13: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

I was able once to remove it with a 25c canadian, but I have tighten it too much. Now i am not able to unscrew it...My cents become twisted by the force I am putting, and the brass begin to disintegrate..it makes me nervous, i dont know what i will do...

Ozark_61

#14: Post by Ozark_61 »

A stubby worked for me too.... but in your case, put it upside down...

...and I'll tell you the truth. God sent man one special gift to prevent destroying expensive equipment with cheap tools.

WD-40!

Spray it on there and let it sit, then it will come out easy as pie. I had a few seized screws that got me so mad I was going to throw the machine down the stairs - but a little WD-40 probably saved my marriage... :lol: And if you're still worked about food safe - then you aren't frustrated enough yet :lol:
LMWDP #570

shadowfax

#15: Post by shadowfax »

Uhhhhh.... I am not sure if you're joking, but I will say that putting WD40 anywhere near anything that touches what I eat/drink, sounds like a horrible idea. It's not food grade, and it's got an extremely potent odor (and presumably taste...).
Nicholas Lundgaard

Eiron

#16: Post by Eiron »

Actually, now that I think about it, I seem to recall using a large blade stubby driver sideways the first time I unscrewed that thing. That would give you the leverage you're looking for & the large blade would be strong enough not to deform.

I, too, would hesitate using WD-40 or any other petroleum penetrant. I'm not sure what you could use, short of turning it upside down & soaking it with veg oil. Can you even reach the threads with something, or is the dispersion screen in the way?

I always reassemble food-contact threading with olive oil. Any veg oil should work, & even a drop of clear mineral oil (the stuff used to saturate/protect wood cutting boards & found in the laxative aisle of the store) would be safe.
He's dead, Jim... You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

mhoy

#17: Post by mhoy »

If you think about the cutting fluids used during construction of various bits of metal that are in your espresso machine, you'll eventually conclude that as long as it's clean now, then you're set to drink the results. So use what ever it takes to get the job done, but clean off the stuff before ingesting. If the screw hasn't been moved in a while it will be hard to get loosen the first time.

I'd guess a big short stubby screw driver or a large coin/washer that fits snugly and vice grips on the coin. With lots of coffee tars on the threads, it may be easier when warmer. (But heat expands, so this may be an incorrect assumption).

Mark

cannonfodder
Team HB

#18: Post by cannonfodder »

I just use a short stubby screw driver. You could try an automotive break adjustment tool, looks like a slotted screwdriver with a 90 degree bend in the handle. You won't get much torque from the later option though.
Dave Stephens

Mark Well (original poster)

#19: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

Another stupid question : This screw, you unscrew it "anti-clockwise" like other normals screws?

HB
Admin

#20: Post by HB »

Yes, it is removed by turning counter-clockwise. If you're looking at it from above, remember the direction is reversed. I've struggled a few times to remove a bolt/screw by turning the "wrong" way, relative to the way I was looking at it, if you know what I mean. :oops:
Dan Kehn