E61 internal squeak after cleaning, NOT a lever squeak

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
spearfish25

#1: Post by spearfish25 »

Tried a nice search but I only came up with 'lever squeaks' which isn't my issue.I have a new Profitec Pro 700 and decided to do a little detergent cleaning after a few weeks of espresso making. I used one of the included tablets that WLL included. After the cleaning, I'm noticing a squeak from the e61 group when the machine is pressurizing during a shot.

It goes something like this:

Activate Lever -> pump activates -> 1s, 2s, 3s -> squeak (somewhere in the e61) -> coffee flows

It hasn't gone away with freshwater backflushing or just pulling regular shots.

Time to disassemble and lube all the e61 internals already?

neutro

#2: Post by neutro »

This would be the preinfusion valve closing I guess. The first 3-4 seconds of the infusion, pump pressure pushes against this valve, lowering the pressure on the coffee bed. When water goes behind the preinfusion valve, it closes shut and the full pressure is applied to the coffee bed --- that's when the first drops appear. So I guess you're hearing the preinfusion valve closing. I don't hear it on my ~9 months-old machine, but I have no idea if a squeak is normal nor how to lubricate this part if needed.

spearfish25 (original poster)

#3: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) replying to neutro »

Thanks. Definitely sounds like that's what's going on. It was silent until the cleaning session. WLL said to just keep pulling shots and it will self-lubricate again. If not, I'll cut my teeth on the E61 internals. Always like a good project.

neutro

#4: Post by neutro »

At least, the group being external, it should be relatively easy to service. As far as I can tell, to access the preinfusion valve, you have to unscrew the tube that extends at the bottom of the group (where water drains after the shot). This tube contains both the preinfusion and the drain valves in series.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

My vote is also for the preinfusion spring squeaking on it seat or against the valve. File these away for future reference:
For more detail on the E-61 group, see these two articles on my website:
How-To 18 - Simple Lubrication of the E-61 Group
How-To 19 - Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#6: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Good stuff, thanks! Does a squeak alone warrant a tear down and lube though? I'll give it a week or so and see if it works itself out.

beta14ok

#7: Post by beta14ok »

I'd bet that the squeak will fade over the week's use. I would advise accepting it as a sign to just proceed with the purchase of the parts for a full overhaul......that way you'll be ready when the inevitable fails start occurring.

kize

#8: Post by kize »

Cleaning the group head removes natural coffee oils that aid in lubrication. Tearing an E61 machine apart after cleaning is silly. Pull 6 or so shots and the squeak will most likely go away. I'm a firm believer in" if its not broke don't fix it"- unless you are a tinkerer and like marring all that pretty chrome up.

#9: Post by spearfish25 (original poster) replying to kize »

Agree. I like my shiny, perfect machine. Worst case is something leaks eventually and I'll just fix it then.