E61 dispersion screen removal tool

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
GVDub
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by GVDub »

Has anyone tried using one of the computer "spudger" tools, like http://www.newertech.com/products/isesamo.php for removing E61 screen and gasket? Seems like it might be easier than screwdrivers, awls or spoons.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

Philg
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Philg »

I don't know about stuck gaskets but a while back someone here suggested:

Untwisting the PF mid backflush to remove the screen. There's a burp of water and it seems a little rough but the screen is finger loose (hot...) and ready to remove, I haven't lost a screen yet.

Also, use an empty PF to install the screen & gasket: put them in as well as you can by hand then insert / twist basketless PF to do the final tightening.

Not my ideas but they've both worked well for me.

radudanutco

#3: Post by radudanutco »

I never used metal on my Bezzera Magica E61 screen; it seemed to be quite easy with a wooden stick or a plastic screwdriver:

besides, a good habit is to use a bit of food grade grease on upper and lateral surfaces of the gasket;
(BTW, the screen is pictured, before being taken to be washed...)

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

I like the red stick in that photo. However, I've always just used the bottle opener I have on my key chain. It workls like a charm and is always handy. Though it's metal, and I suppose they do make plastic ones, I've never put any dents in the screen. The thing just comes off before enough pressure can be applied to damage it.
LMWDP #748

algue

#5: Post by algue »

for what concerning removing gasket, after many attempts I now use a really thin nylon screw.
I screw it in the slot between gasket and metal and when it reaches the end of the hole, it starts lifting the gasket.
It is really important that the screw is made of soft material, so that it can't damage the group.
alberto