E61 brew head 219 degrees

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bblakeky

#1: Post by bblakeky »

I have a 2 year old Rocket Cellini with Eric's thermometer installed. The highest reading has been around 208 when idled for some time. Now it hits 219 after a 30 min startup. When I flush, steam comes out for several seconds and then boiling hot water. It is harder to keep within range. Any ideas. Thanks

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

It SOUNDS like a misbehaving pstat to me but . . . what does your boiler pressure look like (min to max) ? You may need to observe it for several cycles to see if it ventures above 1.30 bar or thereabouts.

The "normal" pressure I have seen and read about on the Rocket machines is 1.10 bar MAX.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

bblakeky (original poster)

#3: Post by bblakeky (original poster) »

Thanks Eric,

The pressure is right on 1.0 to 1.1. How does the pstat affect the temperature and where is it located? Also when overheated, there is a significant delay between pulling the lever and the flow of water. It is as if there is no water in the E61 head. Also water continues to drip out of the brew head drain for about a minute after I pull a shot.

Your help is appreciated as always!

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Also when overheated, there is a significant delay between pulling the lever and the flow of water.
That is a sure sign that there is leakage, more than likely from the brew valve. You could confirm this by flowing a very minimal amount of water from the grouphead during a warmup when the thermometer reads around 150. Repeat the process at 200. The machine should then warm up to a more normal temperature, say 204-206.

Inspect the brew valve using the disassembly procedures here - Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale

The pstat is the large black box on the right hand side, visible when you remove the top cover but there is no need to make any adjustment there.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

It does sound to me like low water volume in the heat exchanger circuit. I concur that leakage is the likely suspect.
For more detail on this go here:How-To 19 - Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group
And follow steps 1 through 5. Inspect the rubber part of the valve (steps 19-22). And inspect the tip of the valve for wear (Eric- You had a good diagram or photo of what to look for in that regard I think..?).
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

There is not much water in the thermosiphon. I know this because I purposely put the E-61 in "steam group" mode by putting the lever to "preinfusion" until the water clears out, then lowering the lever in order to heat the machine up in under 20 minutes. The group temp can go up to 225 if its left too long.

Leaks or a scaled up/stalled thermosiphon are likely culprits.
LMWDP #353

Beenbag

#7: Post by Beenbag »

... I purposely put the E-61 in "steam group" mode by putting the lever to "preinfusion" until the water clears out,
?? ..Interesting comment,... who taught you to do that ?

#8: Post by bblakeky (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. I have ordered the replacement parts and will update to see if that corrects the problem.

bostonbuzz

#9: Post by bostonbuzz »

?? ..Interesting comment,... who taught you to do that ?
Necessity is the mother of invention. I was messing around and figured it out. I don't let the group get that hot- it's probably not good for your seals. It is the fastest way to heat up a group, that's for sure.
LMWDP #353

#10: Post by bblakeky (original poster) »

Eric,

Thanks for your help. I just replace all the brew valves and everything is back to normal. The link was very helpful.