Drain tubing minimum temperature rating?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
eelpout

#1: Post by eelpout »

Just bought some extra tubing from McMaster for a home machine plumbed installation and realized when it arrived it's only rated to 160 degrees F. Is that high enough for a drain application? I would think most hot water would cool quickly when hitting the drain pan for that to be ok. Thoughts?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Last time I measured, water directly from the steam boiler typically cools to ~180°F when it exits the water tap. By the time the water wends its way to the drain, it will cool even more. Given the drop in temperature and the lack of pressure, I'm sure drain tubing rated at 160°F will be fine.
Dan Kehn

eelpout (original poster)

#3: Post by eelpout (original poster) »

Great, thanks!

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Did you get the wire-reinforced tubing? It can be important because the hot water may soften (relax) the tubing sufficiently to increase the chance of it kinking at bends. This has the potential to cause a backup and flooding in the tray.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

I think I bought similar tubing and it works fine. Finding something flexible to fit the drain in the sink led me to one reasonably priced hose which was under rated but seems to work just fine. I use a copper fitting to make the turn into the hole in the sink so the hose runs reasonably direct and has no sharp bends that might cause it to collapse if it got soft.

Ira