Does a Vibe Pump NEED Positive Line Pressure?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JmanEspresso

#1: Post by JmanEspresso »

I would like to "hard-wire" my Anita. Ive read and re-read both threads on plumbing the pour-over vibe machines, either using the float valve, or, more specifically for my machine, the Andreja DC kit. Id rather the Andreja Direct Connect kit.

So here is the question. Does the vibe pump NEED positive line pressure, or can it feed from a static tank. Ill be using the 5-gallon jug system. Now, in my head, here was my thought...

-Bypass the low-water cutoff so I dont need water in the reservoir.
-Drill out the back cover, and re-route the water feed/return lines out the bottom, instead of the top.
-Extend said lines to reach to a 5-gallon jug, essentially making it just a exponentially larger reservoir.
-The OPV return line would either A)Feed into a DRAINED drip tray, or, B)Feed back into the Reservoir, as it does now.

Now, if I dont need positive pressure, This would work. Deciding where the OPV return line goes to would depend on if I feel like draining the drip tray. But, I dont see why it COULDN'T feed back to the 5-gallon.. It feeds back to the reservoir now anyway.

So what do you guys think.. Do I need to purchase the AP kit and a flo-jet to give the pump positive pressure, or could it just feed from the a static tank, greatly reducing the cost of this project. The distance from the vibe-pump to the BOTTOM of the 5-gallon, is an estimated 3 1/2-4ft... It would sit below the machine, on the floor. Is that too far from the pump for it to pull the water up?

Juanjo

#2: Post by Juanjo »

Jeff,

I think you are going to put the little vibe pump too too much stress if the tank is 3 1/2- 4fts under the machine..

BUT if you can put it at the same level as the machine..it definitely should work..
Some time ago I had that set up with my Mini Grimac, also with vibe pump..
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc11 ... 1245710388
not a problem.
I had both hoses going to the tank..
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc11 ... 1245710619

GOOD luck.!
cheers,
Juanjo

JmanEspresso (original poster)

#3: Post by JmanEspresso (original poster) »

Yeah, thats what I was worried about, and why I dont have it set up yet. Currently, Im runing off a bigger tank, but only 5 liters. Size is ok, but the main reason why I want the external water is because I keep a bunch of cups on my machine, and i use my machine a lot. im not a 2 double a day kinda guy, so using the supplied reservoir, I have to move all those cups at least daily, sometimes twice a day.

I dont think Ill be able to put the reservoir at the same level, because I want to use a 5gallon water jug. I already have them, 2, one for water, one for waste.

Looks like ill be waiting to get the Andreja kit then, AND a flo-jet. I would just trade up to the vetrano, but Im upgrading right after the new year anyway.

zin1953

#4: Post by zin1953 »

JmanEspresso wrote:I would just trade up to the vetrano, but Im upgrading right after the new year anyway.
And you can't wait/advance six months?
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Psyd

#5: Post by Psyd »

JmanEspresso wrote:Currently, Im runing off a bigger tank, but only 5 liters. .
I use a 2.5 gallon jug like this one behind my Silvia, and extended the tubes to pick up from behind the res, but putting the res under the counter would put a much larger strain on the vibe pump.

To understand just how much, get a few feet of the tube, and try using it as a straw. Start out drinking from the 'straw' with the water at the same height as your chest, and then try it with the water at your feet. You'll be amazed at how much more energy just a few feet can make.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

JmanEspresso (original poster)

#6: Post by JmanEspresso (original poster) »

I could probably wait...which I am.. but No, can't advance 6months. I WISH I could, however.

Actually tho, I found a larger version of the reservoir Im using now, and it weighs in at 8liters. Works for me. And, I didnt have to change anything, except moving the machine about 2 inches over to fit the reservoir. Same shape, but wider.

And since I already have the two 5 gallon jugs and extra tubing, some braided line and a bunch of plumbing connections/watts connections.. I guess I already have what I need for the next machine. cool.

Thanks everyone.