Does espresso machine have to be at temperature to change brew pressure?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
markk100

#1: Post by markk100 »

Does it matter if the machine is up to temperature?

I realize that temperature plays a role in pressure inside the boiler, but for purposes of setting brew pressure when group head is engaged (think whilst using back flush disc and pump is on), it shouldn't matter, right?

I suppose I ask the question (albeit this may be a very dumb one), as I'd rather not tinker around my machine when it's a couple hundred degrees! :) I just want to ensure that I have an accurate reading when all is said and done. I didn't want to set it cold, then the next day have it come up to temp, pull a shot and have a wholly different reading.

Again, sorry if this is a silly question, but I got to thinking about it last night, as I'd like to raise the pressure a bit to record the outcome in the cup.

Thanks,

Mark

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

No, it doesn't have to be fully heated.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
markk100 (original poster)

#3: Post by markk100 (original poster) »

Thanks for the confirmation Dan!

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. As part of this whole plumbing project, I have to alter some electrical and install some new romex, a switch, and a receptacle and such, as I'd like to bury the power cords below as well. So, if things go south tonight, it was great chatting with you all, and thank you for all of the help! I hereby donate my new equipment to HB.com if I fall to 'sparky' tonight! :)