Do you ever want a Faema E61 so badiy...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bishopthirteen

#1: Post by bishopthirteen »

that you cannot sleep comfortably until you build a proxy out of spares?
Hello Gentlemen! It has been a long time since I have had an HB fix and I hope everyone is doing well. I just spent three months of spare time to get this out of my system and thought you my fellow espresso obsessives may enjoy the results.

Three cheers for scrap priced commercial machines on Craigslist and for tolerant wives.
Bishopthirteen
LMWDP #009

boost

#2: Post by boost »

Wow nice job, I'd like to see what the original donors. I've been really tempted to do this but having trouble finding the right shell.

bishopthirteen (original poster)

#3: Post by bishopthirteen (original poster) »

How the CL ad should have read for the donor machine.

1990s Del2; super ugly, missing many cosmetic panels, abused badly, has various failed electrical and mechanical bits and a cracked HX. The company of manufacture, Brasilia, is going out of business imminently insuring many years of frustration locating parts. . Woof Woof a total dog but possibly deserving some love and attention.

So of course I bought it then promptly tossed it into my bone yard of stalled projects for 10 years, cuz that's how I roll. Anyway a Portifino digital 3500 watt boiler came up on ebay this April, the project took 8 weeks of evenings, seems longer.
Bishopthirteen
LMWDP #009

boost

#4: Post by boost »

I like what you did there exposing the grouphead, I never thought that. What kind of metal you end up using to make front cover, I like the finish.

#5: Post by bishopthirteen (original poster) »

Silver Hexcel Texalium
So Shiney, Mmmmm.

Bishopthirteen
LMWDP #009

TheJavaCup77

#6: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Hot damn.. nice... what mods are you planning to do to this thing?

I see that it isn't really an original E61 since the spring loaded valves are removed and the lever that controls the cam that pushes the spring loaded valves are gone..

Instead this is an E61 modded for use with a three way solenoid.. so no spring loaded valves...
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

#7: Post by bishopthirteen (original poster) »

I believe the group is called "Eclipse". They are sooo simple when compared to an E61 group. They have one spring and one o-ring, what? How is that even possible?
I spent so much time tuning my last project machine, a three group Pavoni P6 with E61 groups, this one is like taking a vacation. Hopefully I will, with practice, get as good a shot.

The only hot rodding I was thinking of is, adding on the cold group side a boiler water flush circuit to keep the group hot without using the HX water. I have mocked it up and in a very busy environment it might be handy however it adds a bunch of plumbing to the front of the machine and I like how minimalist it currently looks.

Thanks for the positive input!
Bishopthirteen
LMWDP #009