DIY Espresso Machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
abhishah

#1: Post by abhishah »

Hi Everyone,

So recently i have managed to successfully build a 1.5kg fluid bed coffee roaster, now its time to further the challenge and hopefully build a espresso machine.

I am keen on building a espresso machine with the paddle, but i haven't been able to find any resource on building a basic espresso machine to begin with.

Would anyone here have any ideas or experience?

Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you

kaldi61

#2: Post by kaldi61 »

Sounds like you need to hit some of the introductory threads on this website, and then you can start organizing your thoughts about how you want to go about your project. Basics of espresso production involving driving water at a particular temperature, through a compressed puck of finely ground coffee, at a particular pressure, through a metal filter into the cup.

On this website you can learn about the various machines out there. Excluding the purely manual machines (like the forge and a few others), machines must have a way to heat water to a precise temperature, and different ways to drive it through the puck, like manual pistons, spring pistons, or electrical pumps of different designs. Beyond the basics of how to heat water and pump water, there is the issue of thermal stability, as many designs have wide swings in temperature, which is not conducive to making espresso. Then there is the whole steam generation issue that is a factor for many, who like to steam milk to add to the drinks.

I suggest you develop some ideas, and I am sure you can find people on this website who have already either built, or modified existing machines along the same lines. You can also find many posts on their projects over the years, that would be good reading.

Best of luck.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

jmc

#3: Post by jmc »

More detail about what you want would certainly help everyone to help you.
John

abhishah (original poster)

#4: Post by abhishah (original poster) »

Hi,

I was hoping to build something similar to EspressoForge, something that would give me more control on the espresso machine with respect to the temperature and pressure and a machine that is more manual, that way i could customize the output.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Abhi

sonic-master

#5: Post by sonic-master »

jonr

#6: Post by jonr »

You could buy an EspressoForge and then add electric heaters to it. You might be able to apply more heat to the discharge end to get a slightly declining temperature profile (IMO, a good thing).