Dimensions of Giotto Classic Pressure Gauge?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
adalewis

#1: Post by adalewis »

I recently bought an ECM Giotto Classic, and it has an empty hole in the shell where the boiler pressure gauge belongs. I'd like to replace the gauge, but the only source for the genuine OEM part I can find is espressotec in Canada, and the shipping charges are rough. I'm hoping someone can point me to the specifications for the gauge so that I can order one that will fit and function (if not look as good as the original set-up). Is my task as simple as measuring the size of the hole in the shell?

Once I have the part, I look forward to figuring out exactly how to rig it up.... :)

kize

#2: Post by kize »

Yes, the task is that simple. If you are not sold on an OEM part - I would steer you to espressoparts in Olympia. I have ordered many things from them- customer service is great- and they love to talk to people on the phone. I would imagine they could find a correct gauge for you.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

After you undress your ECM, you will see that there is very little room for error as regards the depth of the boiler pressure gage.

More often than not, the boiler is NOT parallel to the vertical front panel . . . you will need to loosen some tubing to "convince it" into a parallel state. Is the tubing for the gage still in place? Blanked off? Post a pic or two.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

adalewis (original poster)

#4: Post by adalewis (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. I developed the sense that the tolerances might be tight when I was wedging some insulating foam around the boiler. I hate to think that getting a pressure gauge back wouldn't be compatible with my little modification. The advice to talk with the folks at espressoparts is also appreciated---nothing like benefiting from the experience of folks who've been in the middle of the machine refurbishing going on.

There's no tubing left for the pressure gauge that I can see---just the gaping hole and some space on the steam wand side of the boiler. I've never had a pressure gauge machine before, so I'm not sure what the tubing tends to look like. I'll post pics as soon as I get a good time to pop the machine open again. In the meantime, I may need to take a "break" at work and scout some other shots of Giotto internals. :idea: