Difficulty pulling decent shots with EspressoForge

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
RedWing19

#1: Post by RedWing19 »

Hi Everyone!

I recently purchased an EspressoForge, and I seem to be having difficulty pulling decent shots. They seem to be somewhat thin and lacking crema.

In terms of a grinder, I have a Lido 2, which I've brought in finer (just over the 10th notch), per what I've read on HB. I've also been using a baby bottle warmer to bring the Forge up to a good temperature, and keep the pull at around 9 bar throughout the pull. I don't think it's the beans themselves, as I have a machine that I've tried the same beans with and don't have the same issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

Hello Mike,

I think during my first couple of shots, I experienced the same thing (my gauge was damaged in transit). I'm not sure what changed exactly but it just clicked later on.

So based on that, I think pressure profile & flow have the most important influence over the shot quality on Forge. Then followed by dose and temperature. I find that if you get the flow & pressure right, the shots will turn out fine most of the time.

The Forge tends to like a slower flow, and the pressure profile that works for me is : 2 bar for 5 sec, then ramp up quickly to 9 bar and ramp down to 7-8 bar until the shot finishes. Total shot time is probably around 40-50 sec (from applying pressure on the piston) but I gotta time it - they're by feel most of the time. The shot time is long by pump machine's standard, but I figure Forge may extract less efficiently and thus needing the extra time.

Another trick is you can updose to 20g or so. It's a pretty tasty thick ristretto that way. But you should be able to get good body even at 16g-18g (what I use).

Once you have locked in the basket, try to do everything quickly - especially after you've poured in the water. Another tip to help with learning is by watching the videos (on youtube) - especially to learn how a proper flow rate will look like (at least that's what I did initially and it helped). The flow rate will be VERY different to a pump machine (something you've got to unlearn). :P

Advertisement
spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

Ditto everything Sam relayed + what beans are you using and how old are they? I don't have any issue getting a decent amount of crema with my EspressoForge V2 (Pharos and Mahlgut grinders used); especially with FC/FC+ beans that are not old, past their prime and lacking.
No Espresso = Depresso

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

SO wanted a spontaneous mid afternoon affogato and I didn't want to make her wait an hour or more for the LI to heat up properly so I pulled my EspressoForge V2 from the camp box and within 15-minutes had a very nice tasty shot of Redbird Ethiopia Wote Konga to pour over her black walnut ice cream :).

I had to steal a taste and the espresso was syrupy, sweet and layered. And the affogato was delicioso too. Only wish: I had snapped a couple photos :D

20g in...#7.5 setting on Mahlgut Grist MG-1...IMS 26.5 basket...
No Espresso = Depresso

spressomon

#5: Post by spressomon »

EspressoForge pulling afternoon affogato duty...over black walnut ice cream. Yes it was a yum as it looks :D

No Espresso = Depresso

day

#6: Post by day »

Does your gaggia use a pressurized portafilter?

I ask because you said you don't think it's the beans themselves bc it works on the other machine...I felt there was a possibility the beans may be older than you wanted to admit on here:p maybe I was reading too much between the lines though:)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone