Difference between Nuova Simonelli Aurelia/Appia

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bgn

#1: Post by bgn »

Can anyone actually clarify what the difference is between these two machines? I don't mean differences of scale (like boiler size), but differences in engineering. At the Simonelli dealership it seems hard to really get an answer to this question. The Appia seems like a nice home machine, but I've only ever actually had a coffee brewed on the Aurelia. They use words like Soft infusion system, and thermo-compensated group, but it's hard to know if all these terms apply equally to both machines.

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

In my experience, any reasonably intelligent reader of the on-line forums will be more technically knowledgeable than the average salesman in about a week. That's not to say there aren't salesmen who know their equipment line inside out. It's just that most don't. Their customers are mostly small shop owners who only want to know what it will cost them, how reliable it will be and how fast they can get service.

The Aurelia is a topline commercial machine with temperature control features that won it the right to bid to be the official World Barista Championship machine for the next two years (one of only 3 machines). The Appia, while a fine machine at its price, is not in the same class.
Marshall
Los Angeles

bgn (original poster)

#3: Post by bgn (original poster) »

Marshall, thanks for the post. I'm aware that Appia is "not in the same class" and I also realize that this should not necessarily rule out the Appia as a fine home machine. But I'm finding that there is no technical info available that actually describe this class difference between the two machines, just vague statements about not being the same beast.

wildbwilson

#4: Post by wildbwilson »

Barry,
Marshal is being very polite in his response. If you want to create similarities beyond the brand name, do so at your peril. If this this the dealer on 1st ave they are vague at best. Have you ruled out the M20?
-Ian

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

bgn wrote:Marshall, thanks for the post. I'm aware that Appia is "not in the same class" and I also realize that this should not necessarily rule out the Appia as a fine home machine. But I'm finding that there is no technical info available that actually describe this class difference between the two machines, just vague statements about not being the same beast.
Nor is there a chart that compares a Taurus to a Porsche. The reason is the same. It would serve no commercial purpose. They are aimed at entirely different customers.
Marshall
Los Angeles

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

bgn wrote:'m finding that there is no technical info available that actually describe this class difference between the two machines, just vague statements about not being the same beast.
At the risk of getting it wrong, I'll pass along the difference as explained to me by a repair technician (corrections welcome).

The Appia is a standard HX design. The Aurelia, on the other hand, uses a huge HX in the steam boiler, one per group, practically like mini boilers. To regulate the brew temperature, the shop installs different sized mixing injectors of HX / unheated water. Because the HXs are so large and steam boiler temperature is easily controlled via a steady pressure, the result is remarkably consistent brew temperatures. The Aurelia also has a soft preinfusion feature that Nuova Simonelli describes on their website. I tried one that was being bench tested at Counter Culture Coffee and found it was quite easy to pull good espressos.
Dan Kehn

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

In addition, both are thermosyphon machines. The Aurelia has a very heavy group, around 14 pounds, while the Appia group has the same shape but is lighter, containing plastic parts, so presumably less thermally stable.

I've never used the Appia. I've played with the Aurelia three times now. It is the best "walk up" machine I've ever used, i.e. best for getting great shots from a machine which one has never used. My feeling is that this makes it an exceptionally fair machine for barista competition, since it minimizes the advantage of having used one before.
Jim Schulman

ronpistolero

#8: Post by ronpistolero »

Hi. Just lurking around and saw this thread. Since opinions are at play here, would the Aurelia then be able to outdo the LM GS7, taste-wise and usability?

Ron

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#9: Post by mivanitsky »

My local vendor, who sells Nuova Simonelli and LM, states that while the Appia and Aurelia have some design similarities, that the Appia can not be considered as a one-group Aurelia. The preinfusion is apparently different, and the thermal stability, while good, is not as good in the Appia. He could not substantiate this with any diagrams or useful literature.

Too bad. The two-group Aurelia costs less than a GS3 from some vendors, and definitely less than a Synesso or Speedster. If there were a true one-group version, I probably would have bought it. Alas, the two-group version (of anything) would be grotesque in my kitchen.

To date, the best espressi I have ever had were three pulled on a NS Aurelia at Barefoot, by an obviously extremely skilled barista. A local shop has one as well, and they let me pull shots on it for half an hour. I agree with Jim's assessment of it being an easy and forgiving "walk-up" machine. It seems to minimize the disadvantage of not having used one as well. It is an excellent value in a two-group machine, for sure.

-Mike

Theodore

#10: Post by Theodore »

Is there any chance,of making a one group Aurelia?
Espresso uber alles.