Difference between Nuova Simonelli Aurelia/Appia - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

If the system relies on a huge boiler and HX for stability, a one group Aurelia may end up being a few inches smaller and a few dollars less than the two grouper. This would explain why they built the Appia instead.
Jim Schulman

bgn (original poster)

#12: Post by bgn (original poster) »

HB wrote:At the risk of getting it wrong, I'll pass along the difference as explained to me by a repair technician (corrections welcome).

The Appia is a standard HX design. The Aurelia, on the other hand, uses a huge HX in the steam boiler, one per group, practically like mini boilers. To regulate the brew temperature, the shop installs different sized mixing injectors of HX / unheated water. Because the HXs are so large and steam boiler temperature is easily controlled via a steady pressure, the result is remarkably consistent brew temperatures. The Aurelia also has a soft preinfusion feature that Nuova Simonelli describes on their website. I tried one that was being bench tested at Counter Culture Coffee and found it was quite easy to pull good espressos.
Thanks Dan. That's exactly the info I was looking for. I know you can't fairly compare machines that are in two different classes (like Porsche and Taurus), but it's also wrong for Simonelli to try and sell Appias by giving you a test drive on the Aurelia. Thank you for contributing what you've learned about the real differences.

Marshall

#13: Post by Marshall »

Theodore wrote:Is there any chance,of making a one group Aurelia?
There is a credible rumor that NS will introduce a one-group Aurelia for the home at the Milan show this fall. I don't have any more information than that.
Marshall
Los Angeles

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#14: Post by mivanitsky replying to Marshall »

At a price point between the Appia and the two-group Aurelia, this would be a very compelling machine for the ultra high-end home market, provided it is not as tall as the current Aurelia. It would fare well against the GS3, and might decimate the home market for the one-group Synesso, at $3000 lower price. The Speedster is art, and competes on a different plane.

pitpat

#15: Post by pitpat »

Take a look at the parts diagrams for the two machines:

Aurelia:
http://www.nuovasimonelliusa.com/images ... -02-08.pdf

Appia:
http://www.nuovasimonelliusa.com/images ... -08-02.pdf

The design of the boilers, HXs, and groups are very similar. It appears the biggest difference is in the groups, but they share many parts, including the thermosyphon restrictors. It would be interesting to compare a multiple group Appia to the Aurelia.

Now, I own a 1 group Appia and have never seen an Aurelia. I agree that a 1 group Aurelia would be sweet, and would clearly beat out my little Taurus :wink:, but maybe you have to give it a 10+ liter boiler to maximize its performance.

- John

iZappa

#16: Post by iZappa »

Having used both machines for a long time, I can say that there is significant difference between these two models. The main difference is in the espresso extraction and the temperature stability. The Appia's group is not as temperature stable which causes it to overshoot. It also lacks the preinfusion chamber that the Aurelia group has. My experience is that the taste of an Aurelia espresso is much more pleasant, more body and more harmonious between the different flavours. The Appia is simpler, and for me I notice this in the cup with a sharper taste and more bitterness. The bitterness is probably caused by the temperature and can be eliminated with a better control over the temperature. This is more difficult though to achieve on the Appia. I feel that the Aurelia can be modified to suit many different needs, particularly in terms of temperature and degree of preinfusion. The Appia on the other hand, with its smaller grouphead is not as easy to modify to get different stable temperature. Of course it cost a lot less, and is built for other needs than the Aurelia. In terms of steaming capability they are equal. Differences here are only caused by boiler size and the effect of the heating element.

My take on the differences between these models. Not scientifically based, only thoughts and opinions after extensive use :)
Marshall wrote:There is a credible rumor that NS will introduce a one-group Aurelia for the home at the Milan show this fall. I don't have any more information than that.
I'd very much like to see such an machine. But I doubt that they will make one. If they do I'd guess they'd only make a model similar in size as the one group Appia. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

another_jim
Team HB

#17: Post by another_jim »

Marshall wrote:There is a credible rumor that NS will introduce a one-group Aurelia for the home at the Milan show this fall. I don't have any more information than that.
That's the one thing that would put my beloved Semi in danger -- I really, really liked the Aurelia when I played with it. Pity though, it's hardly a looker
Jim Schulman

iZappa

#18: Post by iZappa »

By the Adonis in stead. It is more or less the same. 8)

Marshall

#19: Post by Marshall »

iZappa wrote:My take on the differences between these models. Not scientifically based, only thoughts and opinions after extensive use :)
That is a dangerous approach. Comparisons on Internet forums should only be based on detailed inspections of parts diagrams and photos of machine interiors.
Marshall
Los Angeles

iZappa

#20: Post by iZappa »

I fully support that :) So its better to be honest about ones posted opinions than to post them as absolutes. By working with, and repairing these machines, I feel that my assessment bears some truth. But one never knows if they'll hold up against scientifically tests. :)