Dialing in 80's Pasquini Livietta with matching Moca Express

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coffeesean

#1: Post by coffeesean »

Got a late model Pasquini Livietta with matching Pasquini Moca Express in white for $60. Came with 6 Pasquini cups, tamp, two double portafilters and baskets, 2 frothing pitchers and portioning spoons. Had to prime the pump to get the thing going but worked right away. Had to clean out the grinder. It was filthy, almost as if the previous owner was using it to grind hash. Missing the oem glass hopper but I made one out of an Orville Redenbacher bottle and a small tupperware.

Wondering about two things.

1. I'm getting very little crema. Grind is fine, beans are super fresh, roast is right on. Thinking maybe I'm not getting the 9 bars I need from the grouphead. How can I test the pressure and adjust if necessary? Just to be clear I understand the boiler has nothing to do with brew pressure as the Livietta uses a HX.

2. Brew temp seems inconsistent. I expect 190-200°F. Max I've measured is 180° and lowest was 125°. The 125° shot was the first pull since turning the machine on that day, but still after 1.5 hours warm up. 180° was after pulling 4 shots over 20 min at 5 min intervals. Seemed the brew temp went up with the number of shots I pulled. Any idea what's going on?

Here's some pictures:

Thanks!

-Sean

Advertisement
russel

#2: Post by russel »

How are you flushing the group?
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

coffeesean (original poster)

#3: Post by coffeesean (original poster) »

I'be been experimenting with it. When I did the 4 shots every 5 minutes I didn't flush, which is probably why the temperature was higher. Right before the 125° shot I flushed the grouphead for about 7-10 seconds until I saw liquid water coming out instead of just steam, then I pulled the shot.