Dialing in a 1965 Faema E61

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
eric needham

#1: Post by eric needham »

I have started using my 1965 E-61 as my primary machine. Would love some insight as to "dialing in" my Faema. :idea: I have a scace to assist.

Thanks! Eric

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

WOW! and, by the way, WOW!
A 90 degree barb fitting would allow the drain hose to run closer to the machine, and about 10" further down, a 45 degree fitting would direct it under the machine without the bend.

Other than that, wow!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
Beezer

#3: Post by Beezer »

I don't really have any tips to offer, but I would like to see some more pics of the machine!
Lock and load!

Paul_Pratt

#4: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Not bad for a home machine!

Play with Greg's device and then get a feel for how it works. The next step is to source the little restrictors that go into the back of the groups. These are little brass ferrules with IIRC 3mm, 2mm and 1mm holes in them. These restrict the thermosyphon flow and therefore allow you to regulate the temperature a lot better. They work very well for our type of intermittent use as it means the first few shots are not over boiling.

Yours may have some in them now or it may just have nothing. You just need to remove the top pipe from each group to the boiler and it will become obvious. If you see parts diagrams of a Faema E61 they are sometimes in the diagram as well. Obviously investigate this with the machine cold and switch off the mains water. You can bleed off the excess pressure in the groups/HX by lifting the brew lever.

The modern E61 legend uses a needle valve instead of these restrictors that mean you can adjust the temp more easily.

You can also consider using a modern E61 steam valve replica. These are a straight swap and give you a swivel joint so you can move the steam wand around. It makes life a bit easier. Then put the original away in a safe place.

Have fun.

eric needham (original poster)

#5: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:WOW! and, by the way, WOW!
A 90 degree barb fitting would allow the drain hose to run closer to the machine, and about 10" further down, a 45 degree fitting would direct it under the machine without the bend.

Other than that, wow!
Randy,
thanks for the advice!
Eric

#6: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Beezer wrote:I don't really have any tips to offer, but I would like to see some more pics of the machine!
Eli,
Thanks! these are pre-installed, I will try and get some more current operating pics and video of shots pulled.
Eric

Beezer

#7: Post by Beezer »

Beautiful! Thanks for posting those.

The machine is in great shape. Did you restore it yourself, or buy it from someone who did?
Lock and load!

Advertisement

#8: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Paul_Pratt wrote:Not bad for a home machine!

Play with Greg's device and then get a feel for how it works. The next step is to source the little restrictors that go into the back of the groups. These are little brass ferrules with IIRC 3mm, 2mm and 1mm holes in them. These restrict the thermosyphon flow and therefore allow you to regulate the temperature a lot better. They work very well for our type of intermittent use as it means the first few shots are not over boiling.

Yours may have some in them now or it may just have nothing. You just need to remove the top pipe from each group to the boiler and it will become obvious. If you see parts diagrams of a Faema E61 they are sometimes in the diagram as well. Obviously investigate this with the machine cold and switch off the mains water. You can bleed off the excess pressure in the groups/HX by lifting the brew lever.

The modern E61 legend uses a needle valve instead of these restrictors that mean you can adjust the temp more easily.

You can also consider using a modern E61 steam valve replica. These are a straight swap and give you a swivel joint so you can move the steam wand around. It makes life a bit easier. Then put the original away in a safe place.

Have fun.
Paul,

Thanks! I wanted to ask you, but I always assume your too busy.

I used the scace and temp is 212 at idle and goes down too 200 after about 20 seconds which is a low as it gets. That is with the boiler set just over 1bar. I can wait to try the restrictors. are you running the boiler at 1 bar?

I am curious, do you use your speedster, lambro, or E-61 the most?

Eric

#9: Post by eric needham (original poster) »

Beezer wrote:Beautiful! Thanks for posting those.

The machine is in great shape. Did you restore it yourself, or buy it from someone who did?
Eli,

I normally do my own restorations, but I found this one already restored, and sitting on someones counter unused for the last 10 years.

Eric

Beezer

#10: Post by Beezer »

Wow, great score!
Lock and load!