Diagnostic & Maintenance Rancilio Epoca S1

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
devilspitcafe

#1: Post by devilspitcafe »

Hi,
I recently purchased a used Rancilio Epoca S1 for a small cafe I'm opening. The machine has seen better days, and its previous owner clearly didn't know much about proper maintenance. First of all, there is a small pressure release that looks like its been jerry rigged on the steam wand inside the machine

It honestly looks like the needle from a basket ball pump, does anybody know what is supposed to be there and where I can purchase it? I can't seem to find this piece on the machine original drawings. Furthermore, is the black wire pictured in the first image intentionally not connected to anything? https://www.espressoparts.com/parts/esp ... roup-parts

Secondly, I doubt the machine has been descaled in a long time, does anybody recommend a specific descaler for this machine and technique, I've watched lots of different ways to do it on youtube.

Lastly, I'm new to these machines but I am comfortable and experienced in taking things apart to clean them, but I don't know what are the necessary parts to clean. If anyone can steer me in the right direction for internals to take out and clean in a machine that probably hasn't seen much maintenance in the last couple years that would be greatly appreciated. I did clean with cafiza all parts accessible from the exterior of the machine (steam wand, portafilter, group head)

Also, the foam insulator around the boiler seems to be disintegrating, is it necessary to purchase a new one?

Thank you!
James