Diagnosing problems with a 3 way solenoid

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jarviscochrane

#1: Post by jarviscochrane »

I'm preparting my recently rebuilt Faema Compact for first shots. I was backflushing with fresh water and noticed that very little water was coming from the 3 way drain pipe and that the portafilter with blind basket remained full of water after the pump was stopped. Does this mean that my 3 way solenoid is stuck "open"? What would be the best approach to solving this?

I've read this helpful overview from Randy G; (Posted from another Topic) which has formed the basis for my above assumption.
Randy G. wrote:Try my article 3-Way Valve How and Why.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Water, while it can be pressurized, on its own does not compress enough to give much of a whoosh when backflushing. If pressure builds when backflushing, and any water comes out the 3-way at all when the brew function is turned off, it probably is working OK. Try adding some backflush detergent to the blind portafilter. The sudsing action helps the "whoosh" as well as cleaning things out a bit.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

frankmoss

#3: Post by frankmoss »

I'm just finishing a restoration of a Faema Compact also. My 3 way does the same thing, which I assume means it's working. I don't think that a lot of water should come out. However, you should make sure that it's building up pressure. Also, do you hear a click from the solenoid?

jarviscochrane (original poster)

#4: Post by jarviscochrane (original poster) »

I hear the click so it is actuating. Sounds like this may be normal so thanks for the reassurance.

I do have a similar problem with the 2 way on the autofill... the pump comes on and I hear a click when the water level gets low, but the boiler doesn't fill.

frankmoss

#5: Post by frankmoss »

Are you sure you're waiting long enough? It takes a while for the pump to fill the boiler up the the level of the water level gauge. Also, mine didn't fill initially because I had a small piece of scale lodged in the water inlet in the boiler, so you might want to check that out

CRCasey

#6: Post by CRCasey »

A three way valve does have an internal channel that can clog with coffee gunk and oils over time. Older machines may not remove this residue with just a backflush. Some times a good tear down and a stiff toothbrush or pipe cleaner with a flush detergent is needed inside that valve.

As usual YMMV.

-C
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

jarviscochrane (original poster)

#7: Post by jarviscochrane (original poster) »

Just to close this thread off for future reference... turns out I had a bad pump. After measuring the brew pressure I was only getting between 5-6bars, which was not sufficient pressure to get a good whoosh going. Replaced the pump and all is well.

Regarding the 2 way, there is a small regulator screw on the main water distribution valve that directs water between the HX and the boiler during autofill. This was completely closed after reassembly, so while my 2way was functioning correctly, no water was able to pass.