Descaling a plumbed in hx espresso machine (old cimbali junior)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dsg

#1: Post by Dsg »

I have a 15 year old cimbali junior d that i just got and would like to descale the hx and boiler. Is removing the auto fill sensor and pouring descaler into the top of the boiler the way to fill the boiler with the solution? If so it ok to overfill the boiler with descaler this way? How long can you leave the solution in for extreme cases?(For the hx and the boiler). Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks

Grant

#2: Post by Grant »

When I descale my Elektra, I do two procedures:

1) With the machine "live", I make a large batch of hot citric acid solution, turn off the water supply and disconnect the plumbing, and repeatedly draw the acidic solution through the HX until it is gone. I let the acid rest in the HX for 5-6 minutes between flushing cycles....I do this 8-9 times.

2) Disconnect power. Relieve pressure in the boiler and then pull the vacuum relief valve from the top of the boiler. I then "screw" (even though it it not threaded, it works great) the pointy end of the plastic funnel into the hole where the vacuum valve was. This makes a waterproof seal which lets me OVERFILL the boiler easily. I then syphon out the boiler water with plastic hose, and over the course of 3-4 hours, I dump HOT acidic solution into the boiler (over and above the boiler top until the level is in the funnel), let it rest, syphon it out, and repeat. From time to time I also let some of the acid water out through the hot water wand and steam wand. Repeat numerous times.

As a final step, I syphon and dump fresh water into the boiler a few times, replace the vacuum valve, and off we go. I don't like to mess with the autofill level/probe....a little more delicate piece that can break IMO.
Grant

allon

#3: Post by allon »

Do not draw hot liquids through a vibe pump. Most of them are not rated for hot liquids and can be destroyed in the process.
LMWDP #331

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I have a 15 year old cimbali junior d that i just got . . .
For a machine of this caliber and age, I would suggest that you FIRST remove the heating element assembly and inspect the boiler internals/hx outer surface. This way you have visual knowledge of what you are up against. IIRC from various pics I have seen, there is a relatively clear path for element removal when the outer sheet metal is removed.

If you descale in this situation, remove the boiler fill tube and manually keep the vacuum breaker closed with a baby c-clamp or baby vise-grips. Seal the boiler fill tube fitting with a small rubber cork or similar - readily available at the hardware store.

There is a good feeling to be had when starting off fresh and there exists tons of material on this site for that machine - let the search engine be your friend. Post some pics of your efforts so others may learn.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com