Descaling the brew path in Elektra Semiautomatica

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dogshot

#1: Post by Dogshot »

I fill my boiler with RO, but it's time to descale the brew path in my Elektra Semiautomatica. Since descaling solution dissolves chrome, I am wondering if anyone has found an elegant way to get the solution through the brew path without allowing it to contact the reservoir?

Also, does anyone know if there are chromed parts along the brew path? E61 machines frequently have a chromed mushroom that sheds all its chrome during the first couple of descalings. I would like to know if the Elektra has any chromed parts in the brew path so that I should be prepared to rinse all those chrome bits out after descaling.

Finally, how long should I let the solution sit in the brew path?

Thanks for any information,

Mark
LMWDP #106

Dogshot (original poster)

#2: Post by Dogshot (original poster) »

I decided to just pour 2 cups of solution into the reservoir at a time - activated the pump to send that solution through the brew path until it drained the reservoir, and then wiped out the reservoir. I left the solution in the brew path for 15-30 minutes, then repeated the process a few more times. It worked well, and no chrome was visibly removed from the reservoir.

Mark
LMWDP #106

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

The water in our area is soft, so a quick flush of mild descaler (or even vinegar) once or twice a year is all that's required. I hesitate to descale the Semiautomatica for the same reason as you; your solution sounds like a simple, smart one.

As an aside, I use distilled water in the steam boiler of the Semiautomatica. It's a manual fill, I don't make that many cappuccinos, and one gallon lasts over a year, and of course no descaling required (I initially filled with tap water to add some minerals to avoid leeching metal).
Dan Kehn

tony espresso

#4: Post by tony espresso »

I'm a home espresso technician for a company and in our shop we use chrome safe descaling solution. I've used in on countless chrome and chromed brass parts and it works great.

howard seth

#5: Post by howard seth »

I used a citric acid solution for descaling some years ago - and voila: all the chrome inside the reservoir of my Elektra Semi was promptly removed. Since then I have descaled several times... But, for the last couple years only using reverse osmosis - distilled, or similar water. I have not descaled - and plan to skip the descaling for a long, long time.

I was originally using Brita filtered pitcher water in my region of California was not good enough - water too hard - even for a new Brita filter. So scale would build up.

Hopefully using this much softer water will also extend the life of those pesky pressure stats.
Howie