Cuisinart EM-200: dark rim forms around edge of espresso after pouring?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sedaniel

#1: Post by sedaniel »

Hello, I am new to this board. I tried to search here and on Google to find an answer to my problem but I am having trouble explaining what is going on and I can't come up with a reason (I am new to my espresso maker, only have had it since Christmas and it is my first one). I have the Cuisinart Programmable Espresso Maker EM-200. It has been working fine with no problems since I got it. Starting a few weeks ago, when I pour an espresso there is a thin dark rim that forms around the top of the espresso. I took a picture of it (this is after I'd had a few sips):

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/photoqat.jpg/

I have tried a few things: I have cleaned my portafilter and the filter baskets (just with cold water, I'm not sure if I can put these in the dishwasher?). I have wiped off the underside of the machine where the portafilter is inserted (I'm not sure what this area is called). However the rim still appears most of the time after I pour the espresso. I don't think I am doing anything differently in preparing my espresso since this problem started so I don't know what the problem could be.

Can anyone give me some advice or has anyone had this problem before? Thank you in advance and I hope I posted this in the right area! :)

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

What coffee is it?
How old is the coffee?
What grinder (he asks, with a noticeable flinch and gritting of teeth as if someone just threw a baseball at his face with malice [the throw, not the face]...)?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

sedaniel (original poster)

#3: Post by sedaniel (original poster) »

I use Starbucks French Roast and it is not old coffee, I usually grind just enough coffee beans for the week because I don't have time to do it every day. I use a small Cuisinart coffee grinder.

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

Those just look like fines that are stuck after sitting for a bit before sipping. I'm sure someone else will if I don't... Grinding weekly is going to detract from the results in-the-cup. Also, what does 'IT IS NOT OLD COFFEE' mean? I don't know of anyone that can get any Starbucks whole bean coffee days post roast. Are you using a blade or burr grinder? The smaller/cheaper grinders will produce a high amount of fines which is, I THINK, what you're seeing accumulate. Compounded by the fact that they're insanely oily beans, you'll get lots stuck to the walls of a cup as the coffee cools.
LMWDP #670

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

As Tony mentioned, the coffee you are using is not fresh. My rule is, if you do not know when a coffee is roasted it is not fresh. An excellent indicator of that is a package of coffee that states anything similar to, "Best if used by.." on it.

And while I cannot make comments on your coffee preferences, but I would recommend that you pass on the French roast.

It is difficult to tell from the photo, but that espresso looks very light in color. At first glance it appears that it has already had milk added. Honestly, if I had an extraction that looked as it does in your photo I would toss it into the sink without tasting it.

Look into finding a local roaster or a shop that roasts its own coffee and try some fresh coffee that is lighter roaster. Maybe buy a few half-pounds of different coffees to try. It does NOT have to be sold as espresso to be good for espresso. Avoid dark, oily beans. And really, avoid Starbucks coffee beans. if you can't find a local supplier of fresh coffee, there are plenty of places that sell fresh coffee delivered in the post. Even that will be fresher by far than what you are using.

Espresso should look more like this. Dark and viscous. This is already a 60ml (2 oz.) pour, and it just barely beginning to separate into crema and liquid espresso (see the dark, thin line of liquid at the very bottom of the cup under the crema). You probably will not be able to accomplish this, but it should give you an idea as to what you should be are aiming for. Be aware that your espresso machine may not be quite capable of producing that, but the color is important to note.

The other problem is the grinder. Those "economy" grinders create a very uneven grind, create a lot of dust which adds bitterness, and lack adjustability to fine tune the extraction. Check THIS CHAPTER on my website for details on a Cuisinart grinder I own (used for things other than coffee).

More insight can be gathered on my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, in this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME.

ADDENDUM: I wonder, after looking at the image again... Does the portafilter have a "crema enhancing" function? Is there some sort of disk, valving, of similar parts in there? A "real" portafilter wil just have a basket the coffee goes in with lots of little holes in the bottom that is removable and the portafilter body to hold it and nothing else. That might account for the light color of the espresso and the foamy stuff on top..

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

You will get there, but not with some of your current selections. When you say small cuisinart grinder I am assuming you have either a whirly blade of death grinder or one of the imitation burr grinders Cuisinart sells. First thing is toss the grinder. You need a good grinder or you will just waste your time and cash. You may want to read these to help yourself along...
Grinder burr types explained (flat, conical, DRM)
Best Inexpensive Grinder?
Best $100 to $150 second grinder

Next up is the coffee beans. SB is not fresh or drinkable regardless of the preparation method. It is best used for ferteralizing your tomato plants but not consuming. When we say fresh, we are talking about days since it was roasted, not when the bag was opened or what the 'use through' date on the bag is. If it does not have a roasted on date, don't get it. If it is more than 12 days old (out of the roaster) it is past its prime. For a list of good roasters take a look at...
List of our Favorite Roasters
Really stupid newbie question...what makes it espresso?
Espresso Blend Does Not (Always) Mean Dark-Roasted

All of which are in the FAQ section. Your machine should do a decent job but the grinder and bean selection need updated.
Dave Stephens

Spitz.me

#7: Post by Spitz.me »

Randy G. wrote:As Tony mentioned, the coffee you are using is not fresh. My rule is, if you do not know when a coffee is roasted it is not fresh. An excellent indicator of that is a package of coffee that states anything similar to, "Best if used by.." on it.

<snip>

ADDENDUM: I wonder, after looking at the image again... Does the portafilter have a "crema enhancing" function? Is there some sort of disk, valving, of similar parts in there? A "real" portafilter wil just have a basket the coffee goes in with lots of little holes in the bottom that is removable and the portafilter body to hold it and nothing else. That might account for the light color of the espresso and the foamy stuff on top..
Great post. Also, as per your addendum I simply assumed this was the case but as per Amazon.com's description I don't know. It never says anything about a crema-enhancer, so I guess not.
LMWDP #670

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. replying to Spitz.me »

Additionally, it never mentions a boiler, so has to be assumed that it is a thermoblock machines which brings with it its own set of difficulties.

One reviewer on Amazon stated, "1. This machine has the most rock solid temperature across shots I've ever seen. Nothing else comes close." Ya.. Sure, Pal. The same reviewer said, "2. I wish they had a non-pressurized portafilter basket option."

So, to sum up:
- stale coffee
- inappropriate grinder for espresso
- enhanced portafilter
It's the trifecta! We just need to add bad water to run the board.

sedaniel (original poster)

#9: Post by sedaniel (original poster) »

Sorry, I did not mention that I had already added milk to that espresso so that is why it looks like that. I am a very in-debt medical student at the moment and this machine was a gift from my parents, I drink the French Roast because I can get it in a big bag at Costco. Which I'm sure makes me sound very naive to you espresso aficionados lol but I just can't afford to buy more expensive stuff at this point in my life. Which means buying another grinder isn't going to work for me right now and unfortunately that sounds like it might be the problem ugh :( . I know what I will put on my birthday present list this year though now :) I was just hoping maybe there was something technique-wise I can do to make it stop producing this weird rim.

Thank you Randy, I will read those articles from your website for more information also!

EDIT: I'm just confused because I have been doing the same thing and using the same coffee and coffee grinder all of this time and this issue just showed up about 3-4 weeks ago. :( Weird.

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

sedaniel wrote:Which I'm sure makes me sound very naive to you espresso aficionados lol but I just can't afford to buy more expensive stuff at this point in my life. Which means buying another grinder isn't going to work for me right now...
Given the choice between (a) mediocre espresso, and (b) one of the best coffees in the world as French press/pourover for less than $0.50 cup, I'd go with (b). For those on a minimum budget, you can't beat the value for dollar combination of a manual grinder (e.g. Hario Skerton for around $30) and pourover/French press. You could probably sell your current kit to some unsuspecting college student and have enough to cover the cost of a new manual grinder, French press, and maybe even a month's worth of coffee.
Dan Kehn