Crossland CC1 steam wand (and hot water) problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BarryR

#1: Post by BarryR »

My (almost) two year old CC1's been going strong until today when I noticed problems with steaming. Steam was barely coming out so I cleared the hole with a paper clip but that made no difference. Hot water also barely comes out of the steam wand.

I decalcified and ran some of that water through the steam wand but it didn't help. The espresso part seems to function fine. Also the electronics seem fine; the indicators (steam, OK, etc) seem correct and there's a slight click when the steamers ready. It also makes the correct 1-2 Hz clicking sound when steam is pumping and a constant pump sound when water's pumping, but the steam or water comes out very weakly. Could it be a problem with the thermoblock, a valve, or something else?
By the way, it seems to work slightly better with the steam valve 95% open as opposed to 100% but I wouldn't swear to it. I do very little steaming for what that's worth.

Any suggestions for trouble-shooting?

I sent this info to Bill Crossland to see what he suggests. I can also contact SCG.

BarryR (original poster)

#2: Post by BarryR (original poster) »

Amazingly enough, I already got a reply from Bill Crossland.
He thinks it could be a blocked steam valve or failed steam valve seal and is sending me some parts and instructions.

I had a similar very positive experience with Bill way back when I had some minor CC1 problems.

dshill

#3: Post by dshill »

Hi there. I have the exact same issue with my CC1 and Bill sent me the repair kit. Did you end up doing the repair yourself? I didn't get instructions (yet), but I think I could probably do it myself. I'm a bit concerned about reassembling the valve properly in terms of making all of the seals water tight (lubricating the seals, using thread seal tape, etc.). Just curious about your experience...

Thanks.

mlim18

#4: Post by mlim18 »

So how did the fix work out for you? I recently sent my machine in to Seattle Coffee Gear with a similar problem.