Cracked fitting on copper tube

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
leftism

#1: Post by leftism »

I have been rebuilding a Brasilia Portofino and just got the composite gaskets for the brewhead to the boiler. I thougt this was the last thing to fix as I tried it like a week ago, and everything was working at that time.

But when I powered it up and the pump began to fill the boiler I saw a leaking under the machine. So I looked and it was the fitting on the copper tube that goes from water inlet to pressure gauge. I looked closer and the fitting was cracked :(

I wonder if i need to buy a whole new copper tube or is it possible to solder the crack? Or maybe a plumber can help me to get a new fitting on the tube if that is possible also?

I also wonder if its possible to plug the connection and run the machine anyway? I know I cant see the inlet pressure if I do so , but that doesnt really matter as long as the machine doesnt take damage from it.

Here is a picture on it.

Thanks in advance

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Can you post a picture?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

leftism (original poster)

#3: Post by leftism (original poster) »

Just did . The tube/pipe goes to this.

And then to the pressure gauge.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

If the only thing it goers to is the gauge, it should be able to be capped without a problem to the machine. The fitting looks like a brass compression fitting. If the other end comes off the gauge, a plumbed could either put a new fitting on (would probably be about 5mm shorter when done, of they could just make a new pipe with the correct fittings. I assume that the end of the copper pipe is flared inside the fitting? If not, it would be even easier.
And PS. I have three Volvos here at the house! :wink:

EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#5: Post by leftism (original poster) »

Yes its flared on both sides. I will try to get a plumber to do a new fitting for it. But in the mean while I will try to plug it and use the machine while I wait :)

The pipe just go to the gauge, but the gauge shows both the inlet/brew and the boiler pressure, but they are separated or? Or do I need to plug the connection on the pressure gauge also?

Thanks for the quick help

The old Volvo's are great cars. :)

stefano65
Sponsor

#6: Post by stefano65 »

is the nut cracked or the pipe?
if is the nut and you have enough slack
you can cut the flare, remove nut replace (is a 1/8BSP) contact me if you need one from my cemetery
replace nut and re-flare
if is the copper pipe same process
re-using the nut
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Normally, the tubing which connects the source to the gage is very small capilliary tubing - around 2.0 mm OD. If this is the size of your tubing, I would be very surprised to see it having flared ends. Maybe some words and/or terminology are being lost in translation.

One end of typical gage tubing is shown below using soldered end fittings and 1/8" BSPP nuts.

A 1/8" BSPP cap with a copper or teflon crush washer would be the least expensive temporary solution.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#8: Post by leftism (original poster) »

It is the nut that is cracked. The copper pipe looks like this in the end.

Im going to contact a plumbing company today, I hope they can help me.

Stefano: If the plumber dont have this connection I will contact you . Thanks

Bob_McBob

#9: Post by Bob_McBob »

I am paranoid about breaking one of these fittings every time I have to disconnect a steam wand or hot water tap valve. Hope you can sort this out quickly and easily.
Chris

#10: Post by leftism (original poster) »

I probably found a used pipe that will fit ( after some bending ). In the meantime i plugged the connection which work good.