Converting European espresso machine to American electrical

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dylanmhowell

#1: Post by dylanmhowell »

Hey!

The machine I want to get (Bezzera Strega) is ~$700 cheaper if I buy from Germany right now.. Will I just need a simple outlet adapter like I would use when traveling?

Here is the listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bezzera-Strega- ... 1918831295

Thanks!
Dylan

post meridiem

#2: Post by post meridiem »

I'd check with the seller to see if it's 120v or 240v.

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

If your typical adapter would also sort the voltage difference with a sufficient power rating it would, but the short version is a no...
LMWDP #483

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Don't do it.

You would need a step-up transformer to go from US standard voltage to European standard (120 VAC to 230 VAC) and the resale value here in the US would be greatly reduced.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

There's a Londinium on the bay now with just a couple days left and it might be worth keeping an eye on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/162011024946 . It's already in the US, so may be 120V.

Between the exchange rate, shipping costs, and the cost of a heavy duty voltage converter for the Strega, it seems you could find something here. Also, though the Strega is new, I would confirm a machine purchased in Germany would have warranty coverage in the US.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Javier

#6: Post by Javier »

cuppajoe wrote:Also, though the Strega is new, I would confirm a machine purchased in Germany would have warranty coverage in the US.
I wonder about the same subject as well. If you buy any (new) machine overseas, will you still get full warranty from the dealers carrying the same brand here in the USA?
LMWDP #115

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl replying to Javier »

Usually not, imo partly to discourage gray import channels but also because importers often carry the warranty for which they got nothing in return if they did not sell your machine to a dealer near you.
LMWDP #483

Fallingwater

#8: Post by Fallingwater »

dylanmhowell wrote:Hey!

The machine I want to get (Bezzera Strega) is ~$700 cheaper if I buy from Germany right now.. Will I just need a simple outlet adapter like I would use when traveling?
Absolutely not. Travel adapters are either simple passthrough devices for universal multivoltage power supplies, or low-power transformers for devices that need specific voltage. A coffee machine is not a low-power device, and will draw many times a travel transformer's current, essentially overheating it instantly.

I've checked the Strega's specs and it draws one and a half kilowatts. Now, apparently you can get 3KW adapters for as little as $75 if this page is to be believed, though personally I'd just get their 5KW one for $120 to be on the safe side (it's always better to go with higher-spec transformers than you need as it doesn't do them much good to run at full rated power for significant lengths of time).

Note that they specifically say that the product isn't recommended for heat devices like coffee makers. I don't see why, though - perhaps there's something about frequency that could create problems, but since coffee machines are temperature-controlled and the frequency difference isn't much (50 vs 60hz) it shouldn't really be an issue (solenoid pumps might run at a slightly different speed). My understanding of AC electrics is tenuous at best, though, so if an electrician tells you running that thing with a coffee maker will open a portal to a dimension of pure evil from which terrible monsters will enslave us all, you might want not to.

rpavlis

#9: Post by rpavlis »

Be sure to check that you do not have an 240V outlet in your home near where you want to place the machine. The outlets for low current 240v used in the US have three prongs. Two of the prongs are identical to the common one used for 120 volt. The third prong, however, on the 240v outlet is horizontal instead of vertical to prevent people burning up 120v appliances by connecting them to 240v outlets.

When I bought my house about 18 years ago there were two such outlets in the place. I have an extension cord to connect either of them to the two 240v appliances I have when I use them if I want to use them remote from one of the two outlets. Depending on your house's electrical system layout, it might also be extremely inexpensive to have an electrician install a 240v outlet near where you want to place the espresso machine.

jonr

#10: Post by jonr »

Many US homes have a 220V outlet near the stove.

Even the "5000 watt" transformer above has a derating factor of 2.5 - meaning that it's only rated for 2000 watts (which might work).

Some machines have two elements that can be rewired to be in serial or parallel - so the machine can be easily converted.