Converting 230V espresso machine for use in the US

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
tjkoko

#1: Post by tjkoko »

If I purchase a 220-230 volt espresso machine, would there be much difficulty converting it to 120 volts for use in the United States?
TJK

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

Depends on what machine
and how many electrical- electronic parts there are
a leva machine fairly inexpensive
a super auto>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.........
or as possible a step down transformer
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Advertisement
zin1953

#3: Post by zin1953 »

tjkoko wrote:If I purchase a 220-230 volt espresso machine, would there be much difficulty converting it to 120 volts for use in the United States?
If you live in the US, and are planning to use the machine in the US, why would you buy a 220v machine and then not run it on 220v???

I understand that many of the machines that are built to run on 110v were originally designed to run on 220 and then "altered" for the lower voltage, often at diminished performance. So I can see why buying a 220v machine might have its advantages, but why buy one and then not take advantage of its power?
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

If I purchase a 220-230 volt espresso machine, would there be much difficulty converting it to 120 volts for use in the United States?
If you have plans to bring it back to the US, I recommend buying a 120v and using a step-down transformer as Stefano65 mentioned, which is what I'm using here in Germany. I have a 1600 watt transformer supplying power to my QM Alexia (1500 watts) and my Mazzer Mini (not sure right off hand how many watts). To date, I've never had a problem or tripped a breaker. I even have the transformer plugged into a 220v timer so that the machine is at optimal temperature when I wake up and when I get home from work.

Here is a picture of the setup.
Merle

tjkoko (original poster)

#5: Post by tjkoko (original poster) »

Here are the specs of the used machine I'm thinking of purchasing, exactly as listed:

ECM
Veneziano model--Veneziano A 1

Watt 1700 W
Voltage 230 V. / 50 Hz.

120 V. / 60 Hz.
200 V. / 50-60 Hz.

So I'm a bit confused. Compare all of the above voltage specifications. Confusing. It appears that the machine might be setup for dual voltage without requiring more than a flick of a switch depending on geographic location?
TJK

zin1953

#6: Post by zin1953 »

It looks to me like they just copied the original specs from the website -- go to http://www.ecm-espresso.it/product/VENEZ_A1.htm and scroll down.

That typically means that the company makes a machine that will run on 230v and 50Hz, and another one at 120v and 60 Hz . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Most machines can be had in many voltage setups. The manufacturer just lists them all and you get the unit that is appropriate for you power.

The setup Merle has is opposite of what you are trying to do. A step down transformer is just a big resistor (yes I know that is over simplified), a step up transformer, which is what you would need to run a 230v machine on a 110 line, is much more expensive. I have a two group that I restored; I ran a new 220 30A line for it.

To truly convert it, you would have to replace the heater and probably all the electronics, it would be cheaper to purchase a new machine at the correct voltage unless it was a simple level box and a solenoid or two.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
tjkoko (original poster)

#8: Post by tjkoko (original poster) »

...appreciate all of the replies and know well of step up/down transformers. As to exact voltage, waiting to hear word from owner who is a food and beverage operator. Won't bother to convert the electrics.
TJK

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by uscfroadie »

Are we talking about the one on eBay? If so, look at the pictures - one shows what appears to be a 120v plug. If that is the case, no transformer will be needed.

If I were you, I'd ask the seller to send you a picture of the placard that specifies the voltage. It'll be quite clear on what the machines requirements are for juice to power it.

Good luck!
Merle

tjkoko (original poster)

#10: Post by tjkoko (original poster) »

Damned, you guessed my little secret. We'll see how this one turns out although I really would like to get that machine over the PVL.
TJK