Conti Club overhaul

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

Here is a thread to document a project I've undertaken. I haven't used a pump machine since I rebuilt a Pasquini Livietta aka Olympia (rebadged ) Maximatic. This is a 2005 model Conti Club which seems to have seen little use, but needs a gasket and steam/water tap overhaul at least. And I have to find out how to make the side panels stay on better. (see blue insurance rope in picture - the right panel fell off after I installed the machine here, knocking down my little bottle of lavender ginger syrup!)

[EDIT: 11/2017 to correctly describe in the title what this project was about. Thanks for the excellent pages, Paul Pratt]
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#2: Post by Chert (original poster) »

The first things I've done are 1) hack one of 3 portafilters to be a bottomless one. (seen in above image)

2) Connect it where my CMA 2 group lever was (before it took a summer vacation to the basement). Plugged and plumbed I dialed in a few shots to learn that everything works, but not so smooth and the portafilter locks in poorly.

3) Dismantle the intake piece which was not in use at the restaurant where I acquired this thing. I think in the images one can see the little plastic bit that does the work of decreasing line pressure (145 psi the max per manual - mine is at 45 psi so not needed here either). But I took these images also to show that every connection in this piece seemed to have a different sealant in use. clear silicon, some kind of greenish loctite, some yellow funk and maybe one had nothing. I'll see how badly it leaks after I clean away all that stuff.

LMWDP #198

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Hi Flint:

When restoring my Conti lever I was able to source an exploded parts diagram from the service bench at Alann Brothers in Albany, OR. That diagram showed everything down to the fasteners.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Chert (original poster)

#4: Post by Chert (original poster) »

That's a helpful tip, Gary. I've already been in contact with the folks at Allann Bros about parts availability. A machine of this vintage should have no unobtainium. I hope not anyway.

Flint
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#5: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Some more images. One to show how Craigslist finds offer swag. Cups, demitasse spoons and the gray portafilters which aren't labeled 'Conti' like the black one is and have much taller and shorter lock-in ears. The Conti one doesn't work, water leaks around the gasket, but the gray ones can pull shots without leaking if locked in real tight. The second image shows how much schmutz is on this group after an initial 4 round blind basket detergent clean followed by the 10 shots I made in initial testing. Now the boiler is empty and Conti unplugged for the maintenance needed. I think a head gasket change is in order so my next operation is learning HX group dispersion screen and gasket removal. HB forum comes in real handy for that question: Lots of threads.

LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#6: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Commercial HX Newbie removes shower screen... Conti side panel hardware

Here is a picture of all the tools I used to try to pry out the dispersion screen. I placed the two showerscreens from my CMA lever to compare how clean they stay, just from routine flushing, no Purocaff to the groups. Also I trained a small light through the dispersion screen. It is in front of the awl on the right. Only 2-3 holes allow the light to pass.
Once I dug up my paint can opener (good tip from the better part of a decade ago, Cannonfodder) and started prying with that rather than trying to remove a fiercely baked on cement style gasket, I managed to remove the screen. Attached with two allen bolts, the brass plate above came off easily. My channeling shots and water flow with this machine was clarified: 5 of 6 holes in the brass plate were filled up with baked in coffee crud and only 2-3 holes through the dispersion screen were free of that stuff. I've soaked the dispersion screen in Purocaff all day with no success. I think I will be replacing that part.

It is sure to be a challenge to remove the gasket/cement ring stuck up in the group. I learned my lesson, even though they've not leaked in the 2 years since I put new gaskets in my commercial lever, I pulled those out and lubed them well.

I have seen a Xeos by Conti pump machine which also uses clips and screw in balls to hold the panels in place. so does the Conti Club.

As can be seen in this picture, the synthetic side panel material can give way. Also the clip sits in a square recess in the frame. It can fall out. That is why the panels on this machine were not very secure. Fortunately I have found 7 so far. I need 8 to hold both side panels firmly. The original design also uses two ball/clip units to keep the drip tray in place. That leaves two holes in the SS tray. Someone has taped over with fiberglass tape to stop leaks in this tray because the hardware is gone. But at least one of the clips is still in the frame. #8 for use with the side panels.

Do other manufactures use this ball and clip hardware, or just Conti?
LMWDP #198

gor

#7: Post by gor »

The Gaggia D90 series of machines use this style of clip to fasten the body panels.

Chert (original poster)

#8: Post by Chert (original poster) »

In lieu of my blathering on about my experience with a baked on gasket: Group gasket removal help!. The final entry to that thread says it all. Don't leave a gasket in place for too cooked on long. I am trying to restore the group without thoroughly dismantling it. From underneath with it fully attached to the boiler etc, it is a neck-craning challenge.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#9: Post by Chert (original poster) »

gor wrote:The Gaggia D90 series of machines use this style of clip to fasten the body panels.
Glad to hear it in case I should need to source some more clips, but I think I have enough. The hardware is hidden, but otherwise it doesn't seem a great design, IMHO.

Here is the success story. Now what do I do with all those gasket bits. Can they be re-used somehow?

LMWDP #198

DanoM

#10: Post by DanoM »

Chert wrote:Now what do I do with all those gasket bits. Can they be re-used somehow?
Yeah, get yourself a hot glue gun and you can glue them all back together. Filling the voids with hot glue makes for a great sticky seal in your group too! :shock:

Just kidding of course... Glad you got that hard rubber seal out of the group with your pick.
LMWDP #445