Conical vs. flat group gaskets?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
skydragondave

#1: Post by skydragondave »

Hi all,
As an experiment with my last order I decided to get several different Simonelli group gaskets to see how they perform. One of the ones I was most curious about was the conical gasket. So it's similar to the Marzocco gaskets in that it slopes up toward the shower screen and is therefore thicker in the ID than the OD. I've installed it in my group and I have to admit I don't quite see the point of this; the feel and ease of the locking action of the portafilter doesn't seem to be much different. Can anyone explain the design principle?
Thanks.
LMWDP #433

hamish5178

#2: Post by hamish5178 »

I have used both the conical and flat NS gaskets on my Aurelia II at work. The conical gaskets I've used are made of a much softer compound that makes locking in much less jarring. The locking-in motion is also much smoother, with reduced wrist strain. I've also noticed the conical gaskets lasting much longer.

As long as I'm working on a Simonelli, I'd never buy anything else. Not sure how you can miss the difference. What sort of machine are you using?

Advertisement
skydragondave (original poster)

#3: Post by skydragondave (original poster) »

Hi Alex,
It's an Appia. As yet I've only locked-in the portafilter with the group removed from the machine and in my hand. I've got the OEM conical gasket and flat gasket side by side, and they seem to be made of the same material.
This is puzzling because I can't imagine a conical gasket being that much more expensive to produce, and the price is the same. Why buy flat gaskets then?
Thanks for your comments. I'll try it again once the group is mounted. Cheers
LMWDP #433