Configuration of metal & plastic sleeves Ulka EAX5 pump?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Philg
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Philg »

Hello,

I'm trying to put together a working pump from two - I've been looking at photos and diagrams but haven't found an answer. I have metal and plastic sleeves that fit inside the body of the pump (Ulka Eax5), I don't know which or how many of which should be there.

Does anyone know which sleeve(s) should be in there and the configuration? Currently the pump is buzzing loud but not drawing water (I've tried blowing into the input tube - this has worked in the past when a pump isn't priming (at least I think) I think this time I've put it together wrong and am wondering about those sleeves.

Thanks!

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

There are only three sleeves and the order is metal-plastic-metal.

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Philg wrote:Currently the pump is buzzing loud but not drawing water
This can be bad news. Most of the Ulkas I've replaced over the years died in this way. The culprit, oddly enough, was sometimes that little plastic ball marked in red on Eric's diagram becoming deformed (I did a mix and match on the new and old pumps just to find out what was wrong) -- a one cent part goes, and the whole $50 unit needs to be replaced.
Jim Schulman

Philg (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Philg (original poster) »

Thanks very much Jim & Eric.

I put it together 1 sleeve short - I'll try again. I've also got just one of those plastic balls so if it's n/g this time I'll order a pump.

Thanks again for your help - I appreciate it.

Phil

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

If you want parts, simply email me (NO PM) and I will send for postage.
Skål,

Eric S.

Philg (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Philg (original poster) »

Thank you Eric,

Turned out I had the sleeves right but I tried again anyway - still the same buzz. The little plastic ball "looks" fine but I wouldn't know if it wasn't. Is there anything you think I should try before ordering a new pump?

Do you think there's any sense trying the newer pump body (the one that recently failed) with the current set of plastic parts? That old pump was probably working fine when I took it out - my feeling is I've put something together wrong but I'm following an on-line diagram and everything seems OK.

[what happened]

I came back from a week away and my Alexia was losing pressure when it got to around 8 bars - pump would hum. Pump worked without back pressure (water flowed through group). I've read a few stories about things like this. I did try cleaning out my OPV. I also tried cold water (it's hot here) that worked better but just one time - I've run the coffee machine in our hot kitchen before.

I had a spare used pump (removed for what turned out to be an unrelated problem) I have only 1 plastic ball but I soaked the parts in vinegar, put it together and tried, several time, now I get the loud buzzing, no flow.

Thanks,
Phil

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

At this point, I would suggest you simply order a new pump.
Skål,

Eric S.

Philg (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Philg (original poster) »

Thanks again Eric,

That's what I'll do (new pump).

Best,
Phil

dingdong

#9: Post by dingdong »

New pump - best reply, but I'll just leave this here for anyone wondering or needing it now or in the future. It's a great write-up: http://ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com/2008 ... -page.html

Snipe

#10: Post by Snipe »

Hi Philg
Just curious what the outcome was of the pump issue. My rocket cellini all of a sudden changed pump sound and gradually became a buzz...lost pressure. I assume it is the pump...ulka eax5. Went to the repair link and took it all apart but everything looked okay. Plastic ball did not appear deformed, so I just cleaned it and reassembled but no change in sound. I am now assuming that the body of the pump is the culprit or at least I hope so. Have a new pump coming. My problem sounds similar to yours. Thanks