Clogged Expobar Brewtus

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jnug

#1: Post by jnug »

Have an older Brewtus that has not been used for a bit. Thought I would try to get it running again.

All electrical switches, resistors what have you functioning properly. Pump has prime. But it looks to me that water is just being pumped into the OPV at the end of the pump and is being turned right around and sent back to the reservoir. I do not think the water is going through the system to get back to the reservoir as I cannot get water either out of the E61 or out of the hot water faucet. I am thinking that since all of these valves and associated plumbing can be cleaned that the best way to trouble shoot would be start with the OPV at the end of the pump. Maybe the clog is there or possible in the plumbing right behind that.

I don't think the issue is with the solenoid driven valve because there is not a direct route for water from there back to the reservoir. I think the clog has got to be between the pump and the rear boiler, possible in the OPV at the end of the pump or maybe in the three way fitting that leads to the rear boiler on this double boiler machine. That three way fitting does have one end that goes to the solenoid activated valve. But since here is no way back out and since I can here the piston in there functioning, I am less inclined to think that part is stuck either open or closed.

Does this sound like a logical path to take....from the OPV into the system??? or would it make more sense to try to troubleshoot from the brew head back? Thinking from the OPV forward makes more sense since the clog has got to be relatively close to the pump and most probably between the pump and the rear boiler.

Thoughts....suggestions?

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

The VERY FIRST step to take is to disconnect one of the electrical leads from each of the boilers heating elements. You DO NOT need heat to troubleshoot this problem.

This is lots of Brewtus info in the downloads section: /downloads/
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jnug (original poster)

#3: Post by jnug (original poster) »

That is a very good idea and once I satisfied myself that I had no issues with how the heating elements worked, I simply left one of the leads off each boiler.

Thanks for that though. That is a good idea and to be honest while I thought it made sense, I don't trust myself 100% with these things. Good to know that was the right choice.

bostonbuzz

#4: Post by bostonbuzz »

How does the pump sound? The same? Coming up to pressure and then changing pitch? If so, check the solenoid for blockages or the group for scale blockages, if not, then the opv.
LMWDP #353

jnug (original poster)

#5: Post by jnug (original poster) »

Pump appears to maintain a constant noise level while on. It does not seem to wane or at least I can not notice it waning.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Hopefully, you have perused this: /downloads/ ... Manual.pdf . It has a pretty good schematic of the B's hydraulics.

I agree that many things are easier said than done.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jnug (original poster)

#7: Post by jnug (original poster) »

Looks like all the issues are in the E61. Got it all apart. Going to replace a few valves. Get everything cleaned and put back together. Should be in business.

jnug (original poster)

#8: Post by jnug (original poster) »

A follow up as a word of encouragement for those contemplating breaking down an E61 or a Brewtus for repair.

My parts arrived today. I need to find some Teflon gaskets as my source for parts appears to be out of stock. But all the parts I could order came in. I had already torn down the E61 completely including the lever. All the new parts went in as they should. Everything went back together without incident and I had water all the way to and through the E61.

One note for folks that might not have been this far into a Brewtus as yet, mine did not have the small pipe just under the E61 connected. So Expobar had routed the return from the OPV on the pump back to the reservoir right from the start. That turned out to be a good thing as that small pipe really gets in the way when you are assembling the bottom valve on the Brewtus E61.

But while it would have made things more difficult if the pipe had been functioning, really the whole job could not have gone better.

I would not encourage anybody to do repairs that void a warranty. However if you are out of warranty, I would encourage you to go forward if you see the need to perform some repairs on this machine.