Cimbali M21 restoration - where do I start?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ValeVitola

#1: Post by ValeVitola »

Hi! After finishing with a beautiful microcimbali 1954 I will start with a Cimbali M21 from 1996

I already took out the panels, however don't know where to start. Machine works but it seems no maintenance for years

Ltrain5000

#2: Post by Ltrain5000 »

Having restored a thing or two in my time, my suggestion would be to locate as many things you KNOW you will need to replace before you disassemble anything and source the tools and materials required for the job.

1) gaskets for the machine. If you can't find the OEM gaskets, I would find a place who can make gaskets locally if possible. As far as grouphead gaskets, I would imagine you can find some at EPNW that would work.

2) electrical connectors, Butt-connectors, eyelets, prongs, different colored wire

3) Obviously any OEM parts you know you will need to replace- possibly buttons, switches, screens, heating elements, etc

4) descaler chemicals for cleaning boilers, parts, heating elements depending on the depth of you disassembly. With a machine that old that may have been neglected for quite some time, a simple descale operation might do more harm then good since breaking loose deposits can clog pipes and if you didn't take everything apart, you could be chasing the clog for quite some time. Me, personally, I would take the entire machine apart and descale each piece individually

4) the right tools for the job- polishing tools, wire wheel for cleaning, emery cloth, metric tools, plumbers tape, electrical tools crimpers, strippers, voltage meter, get a retractable magnet for getting ferric parts that drop into hard to reach places.

5) obviously a well lighted work bench that can be occupied with your mess for a while. Away from kids that flick things. I would get a small snake flashlight for poking into places you can't see well.

I'd take LOTS of before pictures, Label wires and where they go. Take pictures and catalog them in chronological order during disassembly and reverse them for reassembly. I have previously found my confidence gained during disassembly hurt me more than it helped me. I would understand exactly how the machine worked and be confident I could then reassemble it based on my new understanding of the logic only to discover I should have taken more pictures to be able to refer back to.

Most of all: patience and a sense of being methodical. If you're anything like me, it is not going to go nearly as fast as you think it is. Get EVERYTHING you KNOW you will need beforehand, because you are going to spend alot of time getting the things you had no clue you would need during the course of your project. Good luck.

BarendB

#3: Post by BarendB »

Ltrain basically summed it up...

A few things I'll add...

Understand what you will be restoring, learn how it operates and what each component does.

Figure out what's broken upfront... I've made this mistake in the past while restoring / fixing cars... I'd order order 1 or 2 things you know is broken, then you figure out another thing is broken. You can end up wasting allot of time a long time to source parts / waiting for them to arrive. Or even worse you end up buying parts for things that wasn't really broken. Determining up front what needs to be replaced reduces the restoration time significantly... You won't always get it 100% right :) With these machines (as I've quickly picked up in the last few weeks) allot of the parts can be tested individually.

Make a TODO's list, this will keep you on track, and keep you focused on what gaols to achieve to make your project a success (Sometimes I even add due dates).

Now that you know what you're in for, compile a list of suppliers, out-sources (Get quotes for people that might be doing some work for you, that you can't do your self, ex: powder coating).

Know your limits, ex: Lets say some part of the frame is too rusted, you'll need to cut it out, fabricate another and weld it in. I know that is my limit, I've done very little metal work, I don't have the space and I don't have the proper tools. Work like that I'll send off to get done by someone else.

Determine if it's even worth it. Lets say for arguments sake you picked up the machine for $400 and it needs $1000 of work done, it might not really be worth restoring.

Most important have fun!

ValeVitola (original poster)

#4: Post by ValeVitola (original poster) »

Thanks to both of you!!!!

ValeVitola (original poster)

#5: Post by ValeVitola (original poster) »

Final results!!!!