Cimbali Junior Restoration - steam pressure drop problem?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
philfine

#1: Post by philfine »

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a Cimbali Junior D/1 from 1999, to which I have performed a restoration.
I disassembled the full machine, descaled with citric acid, sand blasted and powder coated the frame, and reassembled with new relevant gaskets.

The machine seems to be working fine without any apparent leaks (at least water).
Regarding steam leaks I am not so sure. I am not an expert in this machines as my former machine was a la pavoni and I might be doing something wrong.

The reason I consider there should be some sort of pressure leak is that, the pstat cycle is shorter than what I would expect when the machine is at idle.
The pressure drops around 0.2 bars in 90 seconds, reactivating the pstat. Maybe I should replace the membrane of the pstat as well.
In any case, I would expect that the boiler would hold pressure for longer period, before it would reheat the water.

Please let me know what you think.

I include some pictures with the restoration. Looking for comments on that as well.
The last picture shows an headless hex screw. This screw doesn't seem to be a standard on this machines. I think it is probably an alteration. Cannot find a reason for it. Please let me know otherwise.
I screwed it with teflon and I believe there is no steam coming out from it. (used the mirror test)

Best regards,
Cupertino

philfine (original poster)

#2: Post by philfine (original poster) »

Found something to reduce my worries:
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/hx-boiler-steam-leak]

Is it really nothing that can be done for this? I realised that at cold if I pressurise the boiler I almost don't get any pressure drop.
Something like 0.1 bar in 1h.

Looking forward for your feedback.

Advertisement
cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

.2 bar is about right for Pstst deadband with the Sirai. Better than some actually, but replacing the diaphragm would probably be a good idea anyway. As the boiler heats and cools the pressure fluctuates. Insulating the boiler will help it maintain temp.

The device on top of the sight glass is the vacuum breaker, which has a small catch cup. It'll hiss steam and spit water a bit until there's enough pressure to hold it closed. This allows the machine to come up to pressure without having to bleed false pressure through the steam wand, and thus be used on a timer. They can be prone to sticking. A good way to hunt down 'ghost leaks' is to check it and the steam side with a small mirror.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits