Cimbali Junior DT1 rebuild, preinfusion time delay relay, pump pressure

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
diller

#1: Post by diller »

I am currently rebuilding a 2001 Junior DT1 and am putting a time delay relay in for preinfusion. from what it sound like from most of the people on this forum who have done this, they just put the relay in going to the motor. But it seems that if you do this, then everything will be delayed, flushes will take longer and refilling the boiler will take longer. Or will my line pressure (40-60psi) be good enough for these operations? Is there another option or place to install the relay? this is the relay I purchased http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARBSPNQ
I purchased a dual pressure gauge for the machine, unfortunately the casa gauge is ridiculously expensive, so I got this one, which looks fine, but I should have gotten one with the marking tighter into the center, the numbers are too far out and get partially covered by the stainless panel.

I think I will be installing it going into the flow meter (left arrow). Should be a simple replace the elbow fitting with a t-fitting. as for connecting that to the gauge I got this https://www.chriscoffee.com/Pressure-Ga ... 970cmn.htm from chriscoffee, seems to be the easiest option for this. I'll post some pictures when I get to putting everything together.

a question for you cimbali people out there, what does the red button under the drip tray going to the brain box do?

diller (original poster)

#2: Post by diller (original poster) »

Update:
I have finished up with the restore, ended up needing a little more work than thought, the pump was out, so I replaced it with a new procon pump, if anyone is interested I used model # 141A035F11CA which only differs from the original with better lead free rating, and lower flow rate, 35 gph, which is better. If anyone replaces there pump with a new one, I recommend decreasing the bypass pressure valve on it before first use, I didn't and pressure was really high around 16 bar when I first fired it up.. the previous owner also seemed to mess with the opv. To reset everything I set the pump pressure to around 10 bar, then backed out the OPV screw till water started coming out. I then backed off the bypass pressure on the pump to about 9 bar.

The new braided hose that I got turned out to have a hole in it, so I decided to use PTFE hose directly to the pump, which works great. I also used PTFE hose to connect the boiler to the new boiler pressure gauge so I didn't have to re-bend the original copper pipe to fit the new pressure gauge. I did have to lengthen the pressure gauge mount rail to get the new gauge to match up to the front stainless panels hole.

I also re-insulated the boiler with half inch melamine foam, and covered it with aluminum tape. I have a peace to put on the one side, I'll keep the heater side insulation free. a note for melamine, cut it with a knife, and it does produce some super fine dust. Other than that it is easy to work with.

I also lowered the machine by making new feed. I made them with short 10mm bolts with 3/4 rubber tips from ace hardware, it works great and was able to get the machine down to 16 1/8" total height, and just enough room to fit your fingers under the machine for the on off switch. though at this height it might be hard to get the braided hose under the machine. but you can unscrew the bolts to lift it up for more room, as with the OEM feet.

I found a smaller timer delay switch, which is great, the first one was pretty big. I soldered up an nice little wiring harness that basically goes in line to the motors plug. this is nice as it requires no wire cutting. I only wish that I decided to put the timer in the brain box, instead of in the back, I would need to make a new harness with longer wires. I think it is nice to turn off the delay for setting up brew pressure and other fine tuning. Though I;m sure once I get everything dialed in I won't need to touch it and will live happily in the back of the machine.

Now I'm just working on getting my grind right for this machine. I'm using a triple basket in a bottomless portafilter, guessing around 18-20 grams is appropriate for it. it seems the grinds need to be finer than what I am used to for my old olympia cremina. The extractions are happening too fast, under 20 sec. I'm also wondering if the tripple basket is too deep and creates too much space between the puck and the dispersion screen? I'll be trying a finer grind tomorrow morning.