Cimbali Junior D/1 vibe pump shot interruption - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ken Fox

#11: Post by Ken Fox »

Pim wrote:Hi Ken,

http://www.horeca-parts.nl/Koffiemachin ... unior.html

This is a link to the schematics of the junior. As you can see there is a water tank version (bottom one) and a plumbed version (The one above the previous). Mine is precisely like the latter. VD106 is the lucifer two way solenoid controlling the boiler fill. The boiler fill level is measured by a sensor in the top of the boiler (not shown in the picture).
CD716 is the button we're discussing. If I push it the shot starts, it continues untill the water level in the dosing chamber (CD697) reaches the end of one of the selected rods (depending the position of shot volume selector (CD718). The shot stops and the dosing chamber refills.

If I tap water through the hot water tap the boiler refills automatically.

Kind regards,

Pim
Hi Pim,

Thanks for the link. Although I have seen a couple of old vibe pump driven "D" models, they have not been set up or capable of running, and in fact have been in the back room of an espresso machine dealer in Vancouver, Canada, awaiting disposal. I don't understand why one would put a sight glass into a machine with autofill; it makes no sense if you can't control the level of boiler fill except by adjusting the autofill probe. When one adjusts the autofill probe one has obvious information about where the probe is going into the tank, so even there the sight glass information is redundant.

I'm not in a position to give any suggestions regarding problems with this machine since I have no experience with it nor even have I seen one in operation.

Good luck,

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Ken Fox

#12: Post by Ken Fox »

johny213 wrote:Hi, Pim. It looks like I have the same machine you do. I have attached a picture of the control face.

I bought the machine several years ago off ebay. I had it professionally reconditioned, and they said it made a great cup of coffee. However, because of circumstances, I never installed or used it until today. I have several questions, and would appreciate any help offered:

I have plumbed it in, it fills automatically, no problem. But I think the pressure regulator located above the sight tube is bad. There is a constant hiss of steam escaping. Sometimes the pressure is able to get up to 0.8 bar and the element turns off, other times no pressure can be built up it is all escaping. Should that pressure valve always be open, maybe to warm the cup tray? Is it adjustable? Can it be cleaned, or should it be replaced?

What is the function of the orange light next to the cup with a line drawn through it? It seems to be intermittent, possibly due to the pressure problem. Does the light on mean the machine is ready?

Thanks for the info

John
I believe you are speaking of the "vacuum breaker," a fairly inexpensive and easily replaced part that can be replaced in 2 minutes with a wrench. There is also a "safety valve" on the boiler that can hiss however your description sounds like you are describing the vacuum breaker. Regardless, any hissing from the vacuum breaker should be shortlived, and occur only when the machine is heating up from being cold; it should seal itself afterwards.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

bgn

#13: Post by bgn »

John. I have this same D1, plumb-in, vibe pump, auto-fill. The yellow light on the front apparently indicates when the boiler is filling and it will not allow the pump to run at the same time. As for the hissing sound under your drip tray, no, it should not be hissing all the time, only during start up and after shut off (I think).

Pim, what bar of pressure is your boiler running at? Mine cycles between .95 and 1.5 bar. But it seems to be running very hot. I'm thinking of reducing it a bit. Also, the heater seems to cycle about every 30 seconds and stays on for about 10 seconds. Is this normal?
Barry.

Ken Fox

#14: Post by Ken Fox »

bgn wrote:
Pim, what bar of pressure is your boiler running at? Mine cycles between .95 and 1.5 bar. But it seems to be running very hot. I'm thinking of reducing it a bit. Also, the heater seems to cycle about every 30 seconds and stays on for about 10 seconds. Is this normal?
Barry.
I assume that your machine has an old Sirai pressurestat within it. The "deadband" is the difference between the high and low boiler pressures in the pressurestat cycle. A normally functioning Sirai pressurestat will function within a range of about 0.2 bar or less. You report a range of 0.95 to 1.5 bar, which is enormous and indicates a problem with your pressurestat, your front panel gauge, or both. The old Sirais have a membrane in them which can be replaced fairly easily, after the area around them is cleaned up. This membrane nowadays should cost less than $20, assuming you can find it (I used to buy them from coffeeparts.com in Australia, years ago). Alternatively, the whole pressurestat can be replaced. Another option would be to install a PID, electronic temperature control, in lieu of the pressurestat, something I have done on both of my Juniors. A new Sirai is going to cost maybe 2/3 of the cost of PID'ing the machine, so if you have to buy a new Sirai I'd suggest a PID conversion.

Using these machines with a pressurestat, the range you set for the pressurestat depends on what sort of drinks you will make. If there will be few "milk drinks" made, then I'd suggest a setting at the low end of the range, perhaps from 0.85 to 1.0 (or 1.05) bar or so. If you are going to make mostly milk drinks, then a setting in the range of 0.95 or 1.0 to 1.15 or 1.2 bar would be most usable.

No matter what you do, some sort of a "flush" before you make shots will be necessary to avoid extracting the espresso at too high of a temperature. I refer you to Dan's "water dance" article, which I believe is entitled something to the effect of "How I came to love Heat Exchangers" or somesuch, on the "resources" page.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

jorgen83

#15: Post by jorgen83 »

I mailed the cimbali factory for the manual of an old style junior, and within 2 days I received it back. Now, how am I going to get that on here? Can I email it to anyone who can put it online?

Pim (original poster)

#16: Post by Pim (original poster) »

Hi fellow espresso enthousiasts,

Thanks for all the replies, I have been offline for a couple of days now. Good to be back. Jorgen, I would really like a copy of that manual (I could give you my e-mail adress if posting it on this forum is impossible).

As for Johny's problem, I agree completely with Ken's reply on the vacuum breaker.

Mine cycles between 0.9 and 1.1 bar after replacing my serai pressurestat. You can also get kits to replace the membrane.

Kind regards,

Pim

jorgen83

#17: Post by jorgen83 »

Hi Pim, PM me your mail adress, and I'll email it to you. It's 2.4 mb so can't post it here.

Piers_Samson

#18: Post by Piers_Samson »

could you send me the same manual I just purchased this machine from Uri, a espresso tech here in Vancouver, but I need the manual to set the needles to set the size of the shot... any idea which needle applies to which shot. pm me if you want it.... I have got it now....

mhoy

#19: Post by mhoy »

Piers_Samson wrote:could you send me the same manual I just purchased this machine from Uri, a espresso tech here in Vancouver, but I need the manual to set the needles to set the size of the shot... any idea which needle applies to which shot. my email is ...
Piers: You may want to edit your post and send your email address in a private msg instead. No telling what automated software is trolling for email addresses now.

Mark

sparksy

#20: Post by sparksy »

Hi
I too am chasing a manual hopefully with electrical drawings to start rebuilding a old junior. I have tried to workout how to PM with no luck. Could someone with a manual please PM me with their email so I can make contact.

Thanks
Sparksy