Cimbali Casa DT1 preinfusion pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Javacat

#1: Post by Javacat »

Does anyone have any suggestion on what the best preinfuse pressure would be on this machine? i have a regulator that is adjustable all the way up to 125 psi. Should I stay at around 1-2 bar or bump it up higher to maybe 3 or 4 bar, or would it not make much difference since it's only infused for 4 seconds? I do realize that the pump would require adjustments in accordance with changes in the regulator to maintain a steady 9 bar. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Kurt

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

According to Ken and Jim's How to Preinfuse; Extraction Pressure Redux, 3 bar.
Ken Fox wrote:Times change, grind and shot pulling technologies change. The classic lever preinfusion of 1.25 bar for 10 seconds may produce drips and a completely soaked puck on a lever machine, using coffee ground appropriate to such equipment, but it doesn't do anything except ruin the puck on a pump machine. Our observations make sense of Andy's not being able to get a low pressure preinfuse to make good shots at his recent Gimme stint. In fact, given that the puck is left half dry and half wet, the shot is likely to be worse than a no preinfusion shot. I believe Barry once posted that he was unable to get good shots (on an LM?) using the classic 1.25 bar preinfusion. Again this result explains it.

Going to to 2.25 bar got us a surprise. The timing is close to the 3 bar one, but poor wetting was exactly like the 1.5 bar case. Again, the seepage was down the sides.

At 3 bar, good stuff is happening, the water has enough pressure to go through the whole puck in a reasonable time.

We have no idea whether 6 seconds at 3 bar will work for all machines like it works for the Junior; other design factors, such as the distribution of holes in the machine's diffusion disk, may play a role. However, if you're setting up a preinfusion, you might want to answer this question - is the puck completely wet before the pump kicks in and it starts dripping? This is most likely a prerequisite for a positive impact of preinfusion on the quality of shots in the espresso cup.
Dan Kehn

Dogshot

#3: Post by Dogshot »

Javacat wrote:Does anyone have any suggestion on what the best preinfuse pressure would be on this machine? i have a regulator that is adjustable all the way up to 125 psi. Should I stay at around 1-2 bar or bump it up higher to maybe 3 or 4 bar, or would it not make much difference since it's only infused for 4 seconds? I do realize that the pump would require adjustments in accordance with changes in the regulator to maintain a steady 9 bar. Thanks for any suggestions.

-Kurt
...and 6 seconds. Chris' Coffee tells me that the timing is user adjustable. Can you let me know if it is easily done (if you make the change)?

Mark
LMWDP #106

Javacat (original poster)

#4: Post by Javacat (original poster) »

Well, a very interesting thing occurred today. I had the chance to play around from anywhere from 1 to 3 bar and I have to say with certainly that the low (1-bar) preinfusion produced the most flavorful richest tasting shots. The results could be different with different machines, but on this one at least a very low line pressure seems to soften the extraction (judged by observing the shot formation on the bottomless as well as the sound of the pressure build up from the pump, and no evidence of any channeling) Seems a bit hard to understand, but the results thus far, speak for themselves. Still pulling shots at the same 9 bar - didn't have to make any adjustment to the pump at all. I was pulling doubles with a Synesso 14g basket. I'm wondering if the results will be different for deeper/ shallower baskets. Haven't had the chance to use them yet - probably will tomorrow. I was told by Chris that the timing wasn't adjustable, but it doesnt' make sense that it wouldn't be. He explained that in all the tests they ran with other machines that 4 seconds seemed to be the optimal preinfuse time, and that longer times diminished the shot quality - would still like to play around with it if there is a way to. :lol:

-kurt