Can't get my Profitec Pro 700 to fill with water - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
artcien

#11: Post by artcien »

beanhopper737 wrote: There is one small spot on the bracket holding the Gicar controller where it is apparent that something has shorted out against it and left a burn mark.
I have the same marks, it also caught my attention, just around a hole on the metal plate that is holding the Gicar, however, I then realized that both Gicar metal holders have an identical burned mark around the same area, therefore I assumed that is from manufacturing.

Regarding the tie-wraps, I must have read it on a loose piece of paper that came inside the box with the machine if the manual does not mention anything, mine had two pieces of tie-wraps that were visible from the bottom without opening the machine.

For me, the vendor told me that they filed a claim for damage with UPS on Monday, and that UPS is going to come back and pick up the machine.

No more info so far, the machine is packed up waiting.

beanhopper737 (original poster)

#12: Post by beanhopper737 (original poster) »

Oh, thanks for pointing that about the additional burn marks. I was thinking that it wasn't so likely to be related to the problem, since you had already put in a new controller, to no avail. I had a brief moment to talk with tech support yesterday afternoon (09/30/14), and it so happened that they had present in the office a technical rep from ECM/Profitec, over from Germany. It would be nice to think that maybe they will be able to figure out what the heck is going on.
I studied the tie-wraps and saw that they only appear to be laced around the mounting bracket of the motor so I left them there. I did not see any notification about them in my box. Maybe I missed it, or maybe it didn't get in there. I have sent a number of pictures to WLL and nobody said anything about removing them...go figure.
Hope the future is rosier for both of us. It seems a little difficult to maintain one's composure while all these problems occur.

sweaner

#13: Post by sweaner »

Maybe you could convince Eric to look at the machine. He is only about 1/2 hour from you, I believe.
Scott
LMWDP #248

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

The tie-wraps are LIKELY installed to prevent any undue movement of the motor/pump during shipping. Yes, they should be removed BUT only after the machine is fully operational.

Same comment would apply to the "screw with the arrow". However, a lot depends on what the screw is installed into. This same type of "shipping protection" in whole or part is applied to lots of equipment . . . a good example would be HP printers (and likely others).

Unique to this machine is that it appears to have two control boxes . . . sorta spreading the duty out rather than cramming it all into one box.

As regards the burn mark(s) on the mounting bracket, there should be corresponding damage to the wire that passes nearby. This would be referred to as chafing damage and is, unfortunately, often overlooked in the design phase.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Carsncoffee

#15: Post by Carsncoffee »

artcien wrote:That is exactly the same problem I just had with mine. The pump will not start. I received mine Friday.
Oh crap...I have one coming on Wednesday and to learn about this is bumming me out big time. Hope you and the OP get this sorted out ASAP. Good luck!

#16: Post by beanhopper737 (original poster) »

sweaner wrote:Maybe you could convince Eric to look at the machine. He is only about 1/2 hour from you, I believe.
I suspect erics might have something different to say about it than that, traffic is just hideous around here and I would never ask anyone to drive in it that didn't have to. Plus it seems like the fix for the Pro 700 is on its way -- a new controller should be arriving today and the folks at WLL are optimistic that this will perk up my machine. The controller is coming out of a working machine, so I am optimistic too.
So let's just let erics enjoy his caffeinated beverage at home in peace. His suggestions and those of everyone else in this forum have been and will continue to be helpful, and welcome. :D

w.z.y

#17: Post by w.z.y »

Thanks for sharing. I hope you two will sort this out very soon.
I am about to jump on the wagon but I am a little worried now.

erics
Supporter ★

#18: Post by erics »

Jennifer -

Did you notice any damage to any of the wires that would have contacted the bracket near the burn mark? Did the dealer respond to this burn mark?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#19: Post by beanhopper737 (original poster) »

Eric, I see with new eyes every time I look at the beast, it seems. I now believe the burn mark(s) was a red herring. As artcien pointed out, there is another identical bracket which holds the Gicar power supply, and it has a burn mark in the same position. I could not really see that bracket until I had removed the one (bracket) holding the Gicar controller. Almost certainly the burn was a byproduct of the separate manufacture of the brackets themselves.
I did inspect the wires in the vicinity of the burnt bracket, and some of them seem a little close to what would be considered an abrasive metallic edge, but none of them bear any evidence that the insulation has been compromised, nor do any of them seem to have been involved in any shorting out of electrical current, to respond to your point. I'll have to be careful when I reassemble, however, that I do not give any of the wires any inadvertent scrapes due my own carelessness.
I wish the UPS man would get here soon... He's bringing a new controller, and the water filtration equipment I ordered from Chris' Coffee Service.

#20: Post by beanhopper737 (original poster) »

w.z.y wrote: I am about to jump on the wagon but I am a little worried now.
I will certainly post the outcome of anything that happens. Good luck and have fun shopping!