Can I use an acid to lower KH?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
mr_pedro

#1: Post by mr_pedro »

My tap water has a GH of 150 ppm and a KH of 150 ppm.
I can get the GH to 90 ppm by using a Sodium ion exchanger and mixing with tap water, but that leaves the KH the same.

I found that I can lower the KH by adding vinegar or citric acid. Any thoughts on this practice?

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

mr_pedro wrote:I found that I can lower the KH by adding vinegar or citric acid. Any thoughts on this practice?
My thoughts are that you should not do this and use commercially available filters or bottled water if it is a tanked machine.

mr_pedro (original poster)

#3: Post by mr_pedro (original poster) »

I understand it would be better to just take the carbonate out without adding other ions to the mix. But between brewing with a high KH or the alternative I am suggesting, are there any other considerations but taste?

DaveC

#4: Post by DaveC replying to mr_pedro »

I just assumed it was a trolling post...look I can't be bothered to go into details...if you really want to do it, do it, but I wouldn't.

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

Easiest way is to just add distilled water to your tap. You can get a zero water pitcher for relatively cheap and that makes distilled water.