Can I source a gasket from a big box store for my boiler?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Frenchman

#1: Post by Frenchman »

I got a new heating element for my Zaffiro (I am soooo close to it being repaired) but for some reason thought the boiler gasket would be included, and of course it is not. And my old heating element has been trashed for a while now.

Can I get a gasket from a big box store? I would order one but paying $8-9 shipping for a $4-$6 gasket is tough... I see two kinds of gaskets for the Zaffiro:

- Teflon, flat:

- O-ring style:

Stefano sells the first one, Chris Coffee sells a similar one but specifically sells the O-ring style as a better replacement for the rubber one on the Zaffiro (. If this works, how would I spec the dimensions of the gasket? Does anyone know? I certainly don't want to get the wrong thing and lose a HE to a failed/wrongly sized gasket...
LMWDP #712

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

espressoparts.com ships parts for free. They might have it.

Coupon code is : PARTSSHIPFREE
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TrueBrew

#3: Post by TrueBrew »

If it has a sealing grove on the face plate where the heating element seats like in the photo, I would stick with the teflon flat gasket.
pat

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Even there you need to keep that Teflon gasket tightened down. So yes, I would go with OEM. I saw what could happen when the connection got a bit loose. Had to replace some crispy wires on my Isomac Amica and now all is good again. If you try a replacement gasket and it's not properly heat rated you could have a leak right where you don't want one.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Frenchman (original poster)

#5: Post by Frenchman (original poster) »

There definitely is a groove at the bottom of the boiler:

The picture also shows the flat flange the gaskets goes into. If the Teflon one is better because of shape and material (it deforms into the groove?) I wonder why Chris Coffee lists the Teflon for Quickmill and the O-ring for Isomac (the heating element is the same)?

I did not replace a single Teflon gasket when I changed the rubber ones on my group and lever... But I have them. I think I am going to replace them! They looked in a good shape but after the (small) ordeal (and huge learning experience---I loved that part, thanks all here who are sharing their experience with me) of that whole repair is I think all new gaskets is worth the piece of mind. Does that seem like a good idea?
LMWDP #712

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

If the Teflon seems okay still it's probably just a matter of tightening it down. I have a Teflon gasket at that point in my Isomac and had to tighten it down when it loosened over time due to heat. It has been holding up well since then.
Gary
LMWDP#308

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

I have used the Teflon replacements before. The old paper gaskets were a nightmare to deal with once they have heated/cooked onto the boiler or heating element. Teflon just pulls off and you can re use it a couple times. I doubt your big box store will have anything. Keep in mind this is high temperature and most generic O rings will break down from the heat or outright melt.
Dave Stephens

Frenchman (original poster)

#8: Post by Frenchman (original poster) »

Ordered from Stefano today, keeping my fingers crossed that this gasket goes from Oregon to Washington overnight :-) That would allow me to have home espresso again after nearly three months!
LMWDP #712

helicoil

#9: Post by helicoil »

Hi, Am also replacing the heating element in my Zaffiro. Ordered one plus a gasket from Stefano which will arrive next week. Old heating element was using the O-ring style gasket. Wanted to ask how the flat teflon gasket has worked for you. Thanks for any info. -- Tony

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

The flat Teflon gasket worked very well for me. But over time it loosened and leaked and I had to retighten it over two years ago. It worked fine right up until today when I sold my Amica en route to upgrading my roaster. Ask Stefano how much to tighten that so it securely holds.
Gary
LMWDP#308