Building a Portafilter Pressure Gauge - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
SJM

#31: Post by SJM »

So I have heard you posit many times, but for me and for everyone else I have discussed this issue with, a dry gauge will only work if it has had a "snubber" added to it.

I found that sourcing a liquid gauge was easier than sourcing a snubber.

Susan

gj91

#32: Post by gj91 »

SJM wrote:Given my own experience, which involved visiting every hardware and plumbing supply in the area, I'd suggest you just go online and buy a liquid-filled one that way. I spent a couple of days going into every store in the area and asking every clerk and having to 'splain every time why the ones they had (not liquid filled) were not appropriate to my needs. If your time is valuable to you, just cut to the chase and source one online.

Susan
I agree, I am not going to spend a ton of time looking for a liquid filled gauge because I know they are not there. I am going to give a dry gauge a shot. I can get one at sears by me. That is the most time I will spend. Then I will source the liquid gauge online. It looks like Northern tool has them. Not sure what a snubber is. Ultimately I need to get the parts in pace and I can swap gauges if the dry doesn't work.

Advertisement
SJM

#33: Post by SJM »

This may help you understand the role of the snubber:

http://www.tpub.com/content/engine/1410 ... 05_137.htm

It does for the dry gauge what the glycerin seems to do in the liquid-filled gauge.

askay

#34: Post by askay »

My $.02: Finally got around to putting together a portafilter pressure gauge last week, using parts from Orchard Supply Hardware. All went well, except the dry gauge vibrated like hell. Returned it, ordered a liquid-filled gauge from Directmaterial.com (DCPB254L -- 2-1/2" Liquid Filled Pressure Gauges - Lower Mount
[DCPB254L:PB254L-300: 300 Psi]) for $8.59 + shipping. Arrived in three days; works just fine. (Now the Silvia, that's another story.)

Best,
Alan
--------------
Berkeley, CA
Silvia/Mazzer Mini
Best,
Alan

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by JohnB. »

The gauge that comes mounted on the CC p/f set up is dry, uses no external snubber & gives clear, concise readings. I modified mine for flow & have no problems reading the pressure measurements as the needle does not fluctuate.
LMWDP 267

SJM

#36: Post by SJM »

And there you have it.
Everyone has a different story.
I'm sticking by mine: dry gauge (on a Gaggia) fluctuated so much that it was untrustworthy.

Is there any possibility that that CC gauge (sorry, I don't know what CC means) has an internal snubber?
(I don't even know if there is such a thing).

And, how much did it cost?

And, what sort of pump is on the machine you are using it on? I'm thinking it might be a different issue with a rotary than with a vibe pump?????

Susan

Juanjo

#37: Post by Juanjo »

I stick to this
I'd call it FACTS (at least for me)

I've try few cheap ebay DRY gauges and they work..
and even the Gauge in my SanRemo and any other machine I have with pump gauge vibrate a bit sometimes.
cheers,
Juanjo

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by JohnB. »

CC=Chris Coffee. No idea what Chris pays for them but it is very generic looking & has no markings as far as model or mfgr. I've only used it with a rotary pump so I can't comment on the vibe question except to say that he only sells one version for testing both the vibe equipped Mini & the rotary equipped S1.
LMWDP 267

sweaner

#39: Post by sweaner »

I built the dry gauge for my Vetrano, and it does not vibrate much at all. Very easy to get a reading. I wonder if it is because of the rotary pump? Now, I cannot vouch for the accuracy, but it is certainly in the ballpark.
Scott
LMWDP #248

beatstanfurd

#40: Post by beatstanfurd »

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they have both filled and dry gauges in stock for pretty cheap.