I'm a machinist (and bladesmith) by trade... so my daily business besides sipping coffee
is to make stuff on my mill, lathe and whatever else.
Ever since I got hooked on good coffee machines (Dalla Corte and Olympia are my sweet machines) the idea to build my own did "bother" me once in a while.
At the moment I don't really have the time, but I though I could start sourcing materials and stuff, getting ideas and things.... so that when there will be a few weeks without much work I can get it started.
What I would like of you:
- What type of machine would make the most sense (Group head, steam pressure, pump,... hand lever,...)
- What are "modern must have features" in your opinion.
- Are there any guys (or girls) out there who have made such a thing - professionally or "amateurish"...
- Does Faema supply individual group heads
- how about frothing "wands" (the stainless part without tip)....
- How fancy to go with the internal plumbing..
- anything else...
My idea is "simple":
Create a good looking (milled aluminium, Titanium, Steel, whatever... SOLID)... sturdy and most importantly CAPABLE Dual Boiler Machine (separate Steam & Coffee...) with a hot water port too.
- PID Controlled temperature (PID should be FULLY INTEGRATED (no external boxes or such).
- "Old School" Manual Controls (levers, gauges, wheels...)
- Standard Fit for 58mm Portafilters (San Marco / Cimballi)... I want to be able to use off-the-shelve baskets & portafilters).
any ideas, inputs, hints, tips, ... VERY WELCOME.
again - long term project... but I plan to get it done before 2010.
if it's a success another custom job or project might be available for the public...