BSPP or BSPT for Bricoletta?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
razkolnikov

#1: Post by razkolnikov »

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here ... and apologies for cross-posting this; I haven't received a response on the coffeegeek forum, and thought maybe someone here might know.

I'm connecting a Fiorenzato Bricoletta to a Sharkbite plumbing setup terminating in a fitting that reduces a 1/2'' PEX line to a 3/8'' male NPT fitting (http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/sharkb ... sher-elbow). The Bric's water line is 3/8'' female, but measured in British/ISO units, so I need a converter to connect the two. My problem: I don't know if the Bric's line has a 3/8'' BSPP (parallel) or BSPT (tapered) end.

I found this converter (http://www.mcmaster.com/#4092k73/, part # 4092K73 if the link doesn't work) that would work with a BSPP fitting, but before putting down $20 (!) for it, I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure if I should get a BSPP-to-NPT or BSPT-to-NPT converter.

Thanks!

wookie

#2: Post by wookie »

razkolnikov wrote:apologies for cross-posting this
Uh huh. Don't do it again.
razkolnikov wrote:I don't know if the Bric's line has a 3/8'' BSPP (parallel) or BSPT (tapered) end.
Have a look at page 6/7 of this Swagelok thread guide. You should be able to visually identify if the male male BSP end (plug, water line, etc; whatever now mates with the female bore) is a parallel or taper thread. If not, then you can use a vernier caliper to measure at the extreme ends of the male thread to confirm if it is tapered or not.

razkolnikov (original poster)

#3: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

razkolnikov wrote:Uh huh. Don't do it again.
Won't happen again, promised! :D
razkolnikov wrote:Have a look at page 6/7 of this Swagelok thread guide. You should be able to visually identify if the male male BSP end (plug, water line, etc; whatever now mates with the female bore) is a parallel or taper thread. If not, then you can use a vernier caliper to measure at the extreme ends of the male thread to confirm if it is tapered or not.
Thanks for the link. I should have been clearer ... I don't have the machine yet and I'm trying to put together the plumbing setup before I have it. I tried to find images of the inlet hose--the one from the Volante review somewhere in this forum is probably the best I could find--but they're nowhere close enough to be able to visually distinguish BSPP from BSPT. There seems to be some sort of gasket in the inlet line which might indicate it's a BSPP female (requiring a BSPP male/NPT female converter), but I was trying to see if anyone who owned a Bric or Volante remembered what kind of converter they used.

I'll definitely double-check with your directions once I get the machine delivered.

wookie

#4: Post by wookie »

razkolnikov wrote:I should have been clearer ... I don't have the machine yet and I'm trying to put together the plumbing setup before I have it.
That certainly makes it more challenging, since you have nothing to look at or measure. If you're lucky, someone who owns this model may chime in. Otherwise try a Google search and contacting a dealer who services or sells this model. If anyone sells this model where you live, you may be able to go in person & have a look.

If it were me & I was in a hurry, I'd just buy both fittings in advance. If you're cost sensitive, then the brass versions (rather than SS) usually sell for $5 - $10.

Another "option" is to force a NPT fitting into the BSP one. I don't like this, but quite a few people have done it and say that it works. NPT and BSPT/BSPP threads are very similar, so it's plausible, especially with teflon tape to assist. I don't like it because a forced fit will never be as secure as a proper seal, you may damage threads and if the fittings need to be disassembled, it may be hard to reseal.

#5: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid forcing it in, even with teflon tape. The adapters I found (McMasters) are around $20/each, but I may just have to bite the bullet and order two (in the large scheme of espresso machines and plumbing, it's really not that much extra.... :roll: ). Unless someone who owns a Fiorenzato can chime in with what works for them, I'll report back once I have the machine and can tell for sure.

wookie

#6: Post by wookie »

razkolnikov wrote:The adapters I found (McMasters) are around $20/each, but I may just have to bite the bullet
You could try swagelok.com (no affiliation). They have the same SS fittings for $13 ea. Or brass fittings @ $6 ea. I don't know if the shipping is comparable or not. ISO = BSP.

SS-6-A-6RT SS Adapter, 3/8 in. Female NPT x 3/8 in. Male ISO Tapered
SS-6-A-6RS SS Adapter, 3/8 in. Female NPT x 3/8 in. Male ISO Parallel

B-6-A-6RT Brass Adapter, 3/8 in. Female NPT x 3/8 in. Male ISO Tapered
B-6-A-6RS Brass Adapter, 3/8 in. Female NPT x 3/8 in. Male ISO Parallel

razkolnikov wrote:There seems to be some sort of gasket in the inlet line which might indicate it's a BSPP female
If you want to roll the dice, it's probably a BSPP fitting because of the "gasket" that you alluded to earlier. BSPP seals on the face, BSPT seals on the thread.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

I guess I gotta ask - if you don't have the machine yet, how do you know that the existing water inlet has a 3/8" female pipe thread?

But, let's assume that's the case. Your Shark adaptor will screw right in and seal fine as long as you give it two wraps of teflon tape, omitting the first 1-1/2 threads. BSP threads are 3/8-19 and US pipe threads are 3/8-18. Yes, a BSPT to NPT adaptor would be the "absolute correct" way to go but you're also adding two additional potential leak paths.

If this is a new machine, it likely comes with a stainless braided hose with the correct connection fitting - call your dealer on Monday.

And then what about water filtration and water pressure regulation?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#8: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

erics wrote:I guess I gotta ask - if you don't have the machine yet, how do you know that the existing water inlet has a 3/8" female pipe thread?
The 1-st line website (http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_m ... _lever.htm , bottom) seems to indicate that, as do the pictures I've seen--from what I understand, it's the non-machine end of the stainless braided hose (the one that hooks into my plumbing system) that has the 3/8'' BSPP or BSPT fitting.

Water filter and PSI regulator (along with one-way valve and gauge) are all within the sharkbite system (most of these in the basement, then running PEX up to the dining room through the wall/floor, then just adding another shutoff valve right by the machine). It's just that link from the sharkbite system to the braided hose I have to figure out...
erics wrote:BSP threads are 3/8-19 and US pipe threads are 3/8-18. Yes, a BSPT to NPT adaptor would be the "absolute correct" way to go but you're also adding two additional potential leak paths.
True, though I worry (needlessly so?) about mangling the threads, which would increase the potential for leaks? I'm new at this plumbing in business though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, thanks to both of you for the help/time you're giving me--much appreciated!

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Here's a pic of a friend's Vetrano installation - yours will likely be similar:

That end of the SS hose connecting to the brass ell has BSPP threads - I think 3/8 but . . . In any event, the seal IS NOT created by the threads but rather by an internal rubber washer similar to the typical garden hose seal. The seal is made prior to any thread "mess up."
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#10: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

Wow ... thanks for being above-and-beyond helpful, both of you! I may still get one of the converters Wookie linked me to (just to make it 'proper'), but if it's the washer that makes the seal, it's good to know that a converter isn't absolutely necessary.

Hope to be able to contribute something here soon, instead of just ask questions. Though I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I transition from an old Gaggia to this new machine.